Thursday, May 15, 2008

Rookie moms make good

It's not every day that a mom blogger turns her blog into a book -- a real, on-the-bookstore-shelf published book. Heather Gibbs Flett and Whitney Moss of Rookie Moms -- a blog I've been reading for a good while now -- have done just that! When "one of us" gets a big name, that's a cause for celebration. So....

All hail the Rookie Moms! Way to go!

Their book, The Rookie Mom's Handbook: 250 Activities to Do with (And Without!) Your Baby includes many of the tips they came up with for their blog, but also some new ones. Taking moms from birth through the first year, this book gives great ideas of just what to do with that wee one. Reading through the book (I read every page!), it really took me back to when Fly was two months old, seven months old, 11 months old.... And the tips were all right on, as I remember.

In fact, it was one of the Rookie Moms' tips from their blog, which I also found in the handbook, that helped me start to get over the anxiety of being a new mom: Tip #79, do the thing that you're afraid to do. They suggest identifying what you're afraid of, then trying to overcome it. I really wish I could remember what it was that was holding me back, but I don't have a great story. All I know is that I took their advice, and now I've forgotten what it was I was so anxious about with Fly! See how much Heather and Whitney have helped me?

I also love tip #156, to paint over any board books you may have received as a gift for your child and make up your own story. I wish I had thought of that one!

The Rookie Mom's Handbook is full of good tips like that. One tip encourages nursing moms to think with their breasts and go ahead and order that item on the menu when they get a tingly feeling. Another tip encourages moms to stay hip with current music. There are tips on baby massage, daddy time, preserving memories of your baby in various crafty ways, and even hosting parties. This book really should be the best new baby shower "it" book!

I was lucky enough to not only get a review copy of the book, but also an extra, so I'd love to give it away to a Rookie Mom or someone who knows a Rookie Mom. Please leave a comment saying you'd like to win the book, and I'll pick a name at random early next week. UPDATE: The random.org die roller came up seven, and Kristi at Interrupted Wanderlust was commenter #7, so she wins! Although as a soon-to-be-mother of three (it's twins!) and Fly's future mom-in-law, I doubt she could be called a rookie. Congrats, Kristi!

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing about The Rookie Mom's Handbook which is full of good tips.

2:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to read it!

7:39 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Sounds like a great book...although, I don't think I qualify as a rookie anymore (I'm playing in the big leagues)!

10:38 PM  
Blogger LBA said...

ahhh .. I got a email from the authors regarding this book ... now I know the connection ...

:)

12:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gladly I do not feel like a Rookie anymore, the book sounds like a fabulous resource for moms!

4:59 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

oh how cool. I will have to check it out. Good for her!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

What a great book! I'd love to read it, so please enter me. Thanks!

1:06 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

oh how i need this book!! seriously does it tell you what to do if you lock your baby in the car??

would love to be entered :)

4:56 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

This looks like a terrific book. I'm always up for new activity ideas for me and my little girl...

12:12 AM  
Blogger ohAmanda said...

Does having your 2nd child still make you a rookie? I'd love to read this!

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This would make a great shower gift!
Elaine R
emrosser@shaw.ca

10:02 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

It sounds like a great book. Alas, I am too far into this mothering gig to be considered a rookie.

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home