Thursday, August 09, 2007

Bubble, bubble, lots of trouble

Flybaby is now 11 months old (nine teeth -- including one molar -- almost 23 pounds, walking several steps at a time, and yet still hardly enough hair worth using a brush), and so of course, my thoughts are turning to his first birthday party.

A baby's birthday party should be all sweetness and light. Happiness. Good things. A time for gathering friends and family. When I think of a child's birthday party, I think curly ribbons, colorful balloons, upbeat music, bright smiles, pretty cakes.

However....

Something sinister is lurking in our home. One little component of party prep. Something so horrifying that Flybaby screamed hysterically and heaved, his little body convulsing in terror, his face red with fear when he came into contact with it. What about his party could be so frightful?







The nightmare-inducing bubble machine.

It's small enough to fit in my hand. But every time JP and I have turned it on to test it, Flybaby got so scared that I had to hold him each time and comfort him for several minutes before he calmed down.

And I thought the only scary thing about it was how cheap it was.

I hope the store will let me return it!

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger Maude Lynn said...

How funny! At that age, mine had a strange aversion to plastic bags of any kind. Weird, huh?

12:18 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Hmm, haven't had anything like that. My money is on him rounding the corner and liking it one day. I'd tuck it in a drawer for a rainy day!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Kenzie said...

Hopefully the store takes it back... I wouldn't have thought that a baby would be afraid of bubbles!!!

1:51 PM  
Blogger John J. Kaiser said...

Wow a bubble machine, high tech stuff. I still blow them through a little plastic stick.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Poor Fly! And poor Fly's Mama! We all know you mean well!!

Lance is now terrified of the vacuum cleaner, by the way...

1:53 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Aww... poor Fly. Lately, Isabella has been leaping into my arms every time the phone rings. I guess we never know what sets these little ones off, huh?

PS: Still can't believe they're turning 1 soon.

1:55 PM  
Blogger R said...

If you don't tuck it away for the day when little one loves it... send it on over here to st. louis-- all the fun of bubbles without having to blow! uh...

2:01 PM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

Harry was afraid of bubble too when he was that age. He got over it pretty quickly.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

WHAT?? Oh, that's so funny. But poor Flybaby. That's okay - I'm afraid of worms. And that's pretty silly, eh?!

6:22 PM  
Blogger Damselfly said...

Well, thanks, internets, I think I'll hang onto the bubble maker for a later date! Maybe I'll even play with it myself!

8:51 PM  
Blogger Cathy, Amy and Kristina said...

I say keep it!

In a few months -- hell, in a few weeks -- he'll love it.

(In the meantime, get a photo of the visible terror. So useful in the future, when he's 12 years old, with floppy hair and baggy jeans and that teenage attitude. I believe in thinking ahead!)

8:59 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

If it wasn't that expensive, it could be worth tucking away for later. Poor kiddo - you never know what's going to seem scary! Q loves bubbles right now, but they used to be kind of intimidating to him.

12:41 AM  
Blogger Mama's Moon said...

Awwww, really??? How funny the things that scare little ones. I never would have imagined it! But what's a party without bubbles?!! I remember after having gone through TBG's 1st bday party with a couple of outdoor kiddie pools I thought, "Darn! I shoulda had the bubble-blowers going while all the kiddies soaked in the pool!" How much fun would that have been?

I hope FlyBaby comes to terms with the 'evil' bubble machine soon!

5:21 AM  
Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

Kids can often surprise us by their reactions. They are often unpredictable & quite funny.

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww no not a bubble maker fear! Becca adores bubbles ... Ethan is reserving judgment for a later date.

7:08 PM  
Blogger groovyoldlady said...

Hahahahaha! Make sure you write that in Flybaby's journal!

3:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Man, send it over here! My kid would LOVE that! And his 5th birthday is Sept 13th. ;)

9:25 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

It's so funny to find out what terrifies little ones, sometimes the most innocent things. I have a friend whose baby is scared of spoons, any spoon, any size. Weird, huh?

You at least were smart to try something out before the party.

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home