Wednesday, August 26, 2009

P-p-preschool!

Everyone else does it, and I'm giving in to peer pressure: the standard photo-by-the-front-door picture of a kid on his first day of school.

Fly! In preschool!

Just a few weeks shy of his 3rd birthday, Fly is going to school two days a week -- six hours total, really. His first day went perfectly. In fact, while I was handing off his snack bag and diapers (still not potty trained, ugh) with one of the teachers by the door to his room, he slipped in without me noticing. And then it was too late for me to take another picture or even say goodbye. Something about no clingy parents inside the school.

One day, you're carrying a child everywhere you go, and the next he's ambling into a preschool room without you even noticing. Gah! I didn't get to savor the moment.

But I didn't cry. No, I'm not emotional over the thought of Fly growing up and moving on. (Although he better not love his teacher more. I already consider her The Other Woman.) Maybe I'm a weird mother, but I am excited for him. And a little jealous. After looking at the daily schedule the teacher handed out, detailing everything from story time to water table play to music class to bathroom breaks right down to the minute, I kind of wish it was me going to preschool. It's a great gig. I want to play all day with super-cute little people!

Oh. Wait. I guess I kind of do that already. Except, you know, laundry and meal planning and dealing with home repairs and changing diapers and stuff.

While Fly is in school, I'll be playing with my little Junebug. Because soon enough, he'll be the one trotting off to The Other Woman when I'm not looking.

(Find me over at my new blog.)

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger CaraBee said...

I am both excited for and dreading pre-school. Which we probably won't start for another year or so, but still. I want it for her, know it will be good, but I hate to lose my baby.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Bloggy Mama said...

So cute. Exciting adventures, aren't they?

12:11 PM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

What I cute little guy! I am glad he adjusted well to preschool and leaving mommy.

12:41 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

it just doesn't seem possible does it?? super cute friend! hope you enjoy the quality time with junebug!

1:14 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Good for you for not crying! You're a stronger woman than I!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

So exciting! and very adorable.

1:33 AM  
Blogger chelle said...

Wow what an exciting adventure! It going to be nice to be able to spend a little time with junebug :)

9:36 AM  
Blogger Madeline said...

So glad it went well! He looks excited! Of course, with that schedule, who wouldn't be?

11:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I felt that same way about all of Haddie's milestones but not Bode's. She has always been so spirited in independent I've had no choice but to let her fly. Bode, on the other hand, likes to stay closer to home and his milestones are much more difficult for me to stomach.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

I can't believe Fly (and soon Isabella) has started preschool. I fear that I WILL be one of those emotional mess mothers who sob as her child clings to her leg outside the schoolroom door. Only time will tell.

Love that photo.

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This made me think about preschool schedules for an intense ten seconds, and I now want to be there, too.

3:03 PM  
Blogger groovyoldlady said...

You give me one more reason why I'm glad we homeschool!

6:42 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

He's getting so big - and so independent. You must be very proud.

P.S. Are you planning to keep up two blogs now? I'd love to hear more about why you decided to launch another one...

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home