Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Turning lemons into a new bathroom ... or something like that

They say when life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

And when life takes away your Internet and phone access for most of the day, a mama has to find a way to make good use of naptime on a rainy day.

So I finally cut and sewed a ruffly thing for my bathroom.



Oh, wait. I never mentioned my bathroom redo, did I? This is what it used to look like:



Disclaimer: this was after I pulled off the flowered wallpaper the previous owners installed. Which Fly would eventually grow to despise, I'm sure -- so onto a more masculine-looking bathroom.



I really can't describe the color of the walls waiting for me once I got rid of the wallpaper. Except maybe dingey.

Back to the ruffly thing....

I didn't finish the hem yet because the trim I was going to use ended up being too short. And when JP fixed the rod and hung the ruffly thing up, he slid the rod through the wrong casing so there's no ruffle on the top. (Men!) After I finish the hem, I'll put it up right.



Forget lemonade, I like ivory and black for this room much better.

Oh, and here's a little tip from me: never, ever think you can do one little thing in a room. One little thing snowballs into at least a half-dozen things. Getting rid of the flowered wallpaper led to not just a fresh coat of paint, but also new art on the walls, replacing the towel bar with a hook shelf, and new faucets, lighting, soap dispenser and maybe some towels in the near future.

And a new ruffly thing just waiting for a rainy, no-Internet day.

Labels: , , , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Oooo... I love it! Very masculine.

I, too, can not just do one thing. Glad to hear I'm not the only one :)

8:05 AM  
Blogger Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

It looks fantastic!!

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great - good job!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

Very n ice! It is amazing what you can do to a room with a few simple changes.

10:43 AM  
Blogger amanda said...

love the new ruffly thing :)

but you are right, you can never do just one simple thing. it always snowballs!!

11:35 AM  
Blogger Bloggy Mama said...

Looks terrific!

11:51 AM  
Blogger carrie said...

it looks nice!

I don't like thinking about what I could do if I didn't have internet. But then if you never got it back up, you wouldn't have all of us to show your hard work to!

1:48 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

I love your new ruffly thing!

3:05 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Great job mama!

4:52 PM  
Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Looks really nice. Bathrooms are the biggest pain, right after kitchens. So many nooks and crannies!

5:10 PM  
Blogger CaraBee said...

I'm still stuck on no internet or phone for a day. Gack!

Great job! Everything looks so awesome! I'm still figuring out how to use the sewing machine I got for Christmas with promises of curtains and clothes for the baby and such. So far, I've made one valance.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Life As I Know It said...

wow- very impressive!

I can barely sew a button...

9:42 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

ohhhh lookin' good!

12:24 AM  
Blogger Lady M said...

Wow, that looks great! I need to sew or buy a whole bunch of curtains around here.

1:23 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Looks fab. I admire anyone who can sew, since I sadly, cannot.

6:32 AM  
Blogger LBA said...

Which is why you should never get anything 'plastic' done to your face. You think a little lip plumping might be nice, and then you realise your eyebrows are funny and there's wrinkles and bags, and the next thing you know: Bride of Wildenstein.

I'm currently working on a bathroom project too ! :)

8:15 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Wow, it looks great!

I need to get going on projects like that. Some fixtures are gold, while others are chrome. We're trying to phase out the gold, and I'm dragging my feet.

11:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH I STOLE YOUR LINE. I am so sorry. I must have read it (as I often pre-read posts in reader then comment later when I have more time) and it stuck in my head.

I AM SO SORRY! It really was unintentional, although imitation is the highest for of flattery right??? RIGHT?

ugh.

Great bathroom renovation btw ..

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home