Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Trying out some (motherly?) instincts

Tuesday, July 18:

Did you ever have to make an important decision and did so basically just by instinct?

When I was in the hospital, the staff asked me who the baby’s pediatrician is. So I asked a friend if she could recommend her kids’ doctor, and I go for a prenatal consult.

I told JP if this meeting wasn’t too horrible, we should go with this doctor. The practice was recommended by our friend, takes our insurance, is nearby and next to the hospital. The doctor’s license and other information checks out on the state Web site, too. I did have an appointment with one other pediatrician, but I canceled it because my friend said her kids went there before they went here, and it wasn’t that great -- the waiting room was dirty, the front desk people were rude (there it is again!) and once they told her, “We only see sore throats on Wednesdays.”

Have you ever heard of anything more ridiculous?

I just can’t over-research everything, I am learning. Even though I have read some women put more care into choosing a pediatrician than they do into the actual father of their child, I guess I’ve reached a point where enough is enough, and I have to move on to the next important decision to make in regards to this baby.

The pediatrician is just a few doors down the hall from the genetic counselor we were seeing. There are plastic chairs in primary colors, separated into two rooms by a wall, and colorful art. After filling out a couple forms, I find a seat where the other people are waiting. After about a half-hour of trying to watch the Cartoon Network on the TV, I look up and notice a sign that reads, “SICK waiting room.”

Oh. That explains why there is a wall dividing the waiting room.

But hey, I’m the one who just finished more than two weeks of antibiotics for my infection, so whatever.

The doctor leads me down a hall decorated in fun art to an exam room. She is pleasant. She is extremely detailed in her answers to my questions. In fact, at some point, I make a passing comment most people would just nod their heads at, and she responds with a five-minute discourse that goes way too deep into the comment. That’s kind of annoying, but I figure if I ever have a question that’s really important about my baby’s health, she’ll be just as detailed and will tell me everything she knows about the subject.

Plus, the office is open every day of the week and will see patients until 10 p.m. No “We only see sore throats on Wednesdays” business.

So, little baby, weary as I am with all the planning that JP and I have done since we found out about you, we’re putting your health in this doctor’s care with little more than a recommendation and good vibes. And, of course, we’ll be looking out for you, too.

3 Comments:

Blogger LBA said...

My son is now 2yrs old, and we still don't have a pediatrician.

Don't worry too much about it. Some babies don't get sick and worry their parents to bits ..

Let's hope you get one of those ;)

10:22 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

That's great that you found a ped. so early! We had a good nurse practicioner lined up before Cordy was born, but sadly she left when Cordy was 6 months old. The other doctors in the practice just aren't as good, and they've actually scaled back their hours lately, so we're thinking about switching.

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I went to interview the one ped in town, he asked me why I was there - and then proceeded to tell me how kids are like computers... eh.

We use the doc on base... still haven't seen an actual ped yet.

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home