Friday, October 19, 2007

Greatness

After dinner last night, JP turned on my iPod and got out the tunnel tube toy he gave Fly for his birthday. The two of them were crawling and scooting through the tube as JP chased Fly and tickled him. I sat down too and joined in the tickling. The tube even started rolling back and forth, and Fly was giggling like crazy!

Then a song came on that needed my attention. You know that kind of song. Some songs can play in the background, but some songs need your ears, mind and heart. Sometimes those songs transport you to another place and you forget where you are....

The guitar riff reminded me I once played guitar (for only two years, and I was never any good because I couldn't make it a priority to practice). It reminded me I could play guitar again, if I made the time for it. But time, time ... how many new parents have time to learn to play an instrument?

The song kept pulling me in....

If I used Fly's naptime to practice music instead of blogging ... but then blogging is about the only writing I've been doing lately, and I can't give up writing. Can I? At a time when there just doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day, now, why now, do I have to be trying to sort myself out?

"Whatcha thinking?" JP asked.

"That I will never be really great at anything," I monotoned.

JP looked at me with an expression that was part question, part sadness, part understanding.

"You're a great mom."

Not You can be a great mom. Not You will be a great mom.

You are a great mom.

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger PunditMom said...

I hope that made you feel better!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

You're a great mom. You're a great friend. You're a great singer. You're a great writer. You're a great website designer. You're a great wilderness guide. You're a great prayer warrior. You're a great listener and understander. You're a great fashionista. ;) You're a great coffee-drinking companion! You're a great bookstore-browser!

You may not see it, but you really ARE great!

3:14 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

AAHHH. That was nice of him to say. So I read in another comment that you also sing? That's very cool. A fellow musician. I'm not great at anything either. My husband tells me I'm a great wife, and I usually snort at him or something.

But I think greatness is overrated unless it is loving people. That's the only thing great enough to strive for.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Bon said...

awww. he rocks.

and i used to play guitar too...badly, but i loved it. now, i can barely find time to blog. i dunno. but the great mom bit? worth it.

5:37 PM  
Blogger Bloggy Mama said...

and you are!

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww how incredibly sweet and honest!!!

I often swoon at learning more about geeky things, but alas with a preschooler and a baby there is little time for oneself. I daydream of the days to come that I will have more time for me, that time will also be spent daydreaming of days gone by with the kids.

Maybe learn the guitar with the kid?!?

6:42 PM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

Well Fly will not be little and ultra needy forever, he will get bigger and go off to school. Then that time comes you will be able to eek out a little more time for yourself and your guitar. I am only able to knit as much as I do because the boys are so good at playing together.

6:58 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Don't you just love it when they come out and say something like that, and you know they mean it? I do. :) And I'm sure you are a great mom!!!

8:45 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Ooo. Big points!

8:46 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

The pursuit of time to devote to the things we love (other than our children, of course) is something I believe every mom of a young child covets. The way I get myself through the tough days when I feel I don't have enough time to jumpstart the freelance career I so desperately want is to remind myself to live in the now. It sounds like JP delivered you just what you needed.

And PS: you're a great writer too.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Awesome! Bet that perked you right up.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Bri said...

Ahhh, excellent answer JP! Pretty husband! Pretty, pretty husband!
Hee.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

What a sweet thing to say.

I know what you mean about the music. I have a piano and a guitar that shoot me dirty looks every time I walk past them. Not enough hours in the day.

11:13 AM  
Blogger ohAmanda said...

Perfect. Go back and read that on those rough days!

7:06 PM  
Blogger Cathy, Amy and Kristina said...

Aww... perfect response from him.

Now go back and reread this post. Often!

8:44 PM  
Blogger jodifur said...

you should marry that man!

8:54 PM  
Blogger LBA said...

My husband says that ! :)

Makes me feel better about being a non-financial contributor to the home..

What a sweet man you have there :)

8:35 PM  
Blogger groovyoldlady said...

:-)

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home