Monday, October 15, 2007

Parents save the planet!

Blog Action Day is today, when bloggers are posting about saving our environment.

The idea of saving the whole Earth is overwhelming, and that's why people love those lists like "10 Easy Things You Can Do to Save the World." Items on those lists are practical and do make a difference.

But I believe parents will (or have the chance to) make the biggest difference, just in raising our children to care about the nature of our world. That's why I take Fly and his friend into swamps, kayaking and camping. I want Fly to learn to love creation. I believe for him, "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" won't just be a catch phrase, but a way of life. He and his peers might be inheriting a planet that's worn around the edges, but I think things are improving because we're more aware. Our society knows now things we have done have been bad mistakes. Fly's generation will have technology to correct these mistakes and improve our air, water and land. But they won't know what to do with that technology, or that our environment should be improved and preserved, unless they learn to love it first.

----

"For in the end, we will conserve only what we love, we will love only what we understand, and we will understand only what we are taught." -- Baba Dioum

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristi said...

Awesome post. I intend to raise my daughter in much the same way you're raising Fly, not just because it's the right thing to do for our planet, but because I believe every human being has the responsibility to tred lightly.

And that quote has always been one of my favorites.
:)

8:06 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

Right on. The hard part won't be getting our children to respect the earth, it will be getting our generation to demonstrate it.

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

You're SO RIGHT!!

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work for Cox Enterprises and saw that you participated in Blog Action Day. I thought you might be interested in visiting www.CoxConserves.com. The site details Cox’s commitment to the environment and offers tips on how anyone can become eco-friendly.

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you're standing up for this. I totally agree about raising our kids in a way that teaches them to be conscience about our environment. Part of me thinks that the majority of our generation is totally lost on this but hopefully we can raise a next generation that knows the definition of the word "conserve"

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home