Friday, June 01, 2007

Weekend camping trip, Or, lovebug orgy fest

The weekend is here, so it's the perfect time to share what I did last weekend. Because it's taken me all week to get my pictures together while keeping up with a baby who now crawls all over the house.

I have sorely missed my "green time," getting outdoors and traveling the way JP and I used to before Flybaby. So JP and I gathered a few friends, and we headed to one of our favorite campgrounds to test the camping waters with Flybaby.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Gotta keep that wiley friend Star and her husband in view at all times. And yes, that's smoke from wildfires we had to drive through.

One of the main problems with our trip was the timing. Yes, it was a nice long holiday weekend, but it was also the nice long lovebug orgy weekend. The lovebugs were out in Biblical plague proportions. I have never, ever seen them so bad.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And these are alive -- just a small minority of the ones that didn't get squashed on the windshield.

As soon as we could set up camp, Flybaby and his friend Lancelot settled right in like old pros.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Hey! Where'd everybody go?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Um. You called this a tent. But seriously, where am I?

Our friends had a great time exploring the park.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What do you want to do first?
I dunno, what do you want to do?
I don't care. Whatever you want to do.

One of the coolest things we did was climb an observation tower. Here are Star and I:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

But then we looked down.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Gulp.

We also saw some cool wildlife, like this barred owl:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Everyone saw it, that is, except me, because I had to comfort a cranky Flybaby:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Flybaby would have done better if we had brought a Pack 'n' Play or his Jumperoo (riiiight! like we had the room) or some way to let him expend some energy. He was so keyed up that he wouldn't sleep for 10 (one-zero) hours. And that made me cranky as well. But there was no way I was going to let him crawl around in the dirt. Our campground couldn't have been any drier and dustier than if we had camped in the desert. And it showed.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Dude, you reek.
Yeah, well, you don't smell too great, either, homey.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Whew, I'm gonna have to keep you at arm's length.
You're telling me, bro!

I think it was all worth it, though, if only to see this for a short while until I get the courage to take Fly camping again:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Labels: ,

24 Comments:

Blogger LBA said...

aww - that last pic reminds me of Laura Ingles rolling down the hill in the opening scenes of "Little House on the Prairie" !

Cool observation tower !

Crawling can be hard without boundaries if you have a *crawler*. My kid could cross 8 major highways in the blink of an eye :(

So I feel for you ( but the piccies looked great :)

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have camping envy! I totally loved camping with Becca last summer (she could walk though).

The pictures are amazing! Looks like a good first time!

9:31 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

It took me until the owl to recover from the bugs on the side of the car. Thank you for closing with baby humor and flowers, I am so bugged out and it's only just now June.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay the wildfires I could handle but the LOVEBUGS?!! EWWW. Yesterday at Race Trac gas station my husband tried to squeegie the bugs off but they wouldn't budge!!! When are thy going away!!!

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the dialogue between the boys! I guess my children are deprived. They are 5 and 2 and have never been camping!

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome pictures! Those bugs are so gross.

1:00 PM  
Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

The first thing I thought of when I saw your entry was that you were brave to take a baby camping. The second thing was that I was jealous. :) Looked like fun!

3:05 PM  
Blogger OhTheJoys said...

Did you see any park rangers?

3:19 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

Wow, I've never seen so many bugs before. Yikes!

Cute pictures of Flybaby though - it looks like you all had fun.

Regarding your last comment on my blog, I was wondering what hypnobirthing program you did and why you think it didn't end up working. I'm curious b/c I'm studying hypnobirthing right now.

4:05 PM  
Blogger theotherbear said...

I agree with h&b - that last photo reminded me of that scene too!
I don't know what love bugs are but I am glad we don't have them here. They don't LOOK very lovely. We probably had other just as nasty bugs though.

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a blast--even the bugs & stinky kids look fun! ;)

8:37 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Oh boy. You are one brave chick for camping with a baby. Not into camping myself, but in a lot of ways I wish I was, because it does look like fun...except for the whole sleeping in a tent thing. And those bugs? NASTY.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Nadine said...

You're a good woman - city girl me don't do camping. The bugs on the car - yuck. The pictures are quite fun and Flybaby too cute for words.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Pendullum said...

Braver woman than me...I have never gone camping with my family... Only cottaging and it works a lot better for us... as I know I would be at wits ends even now...and my kid in nine... we go on the hikes... the walks... but the comfort of running water, and of a mattress and a toilet are too glorious to be without...

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, so cute!

Next time I want to come.

*sigh*

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Omg, the love bugs. One of the reasons that I dont jump at Hubby's suggestion to move to Florida.

Loving the babies - I'll have them with a big spoon, please.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Cathy, Amy and Kristina said...

We just took our first camping trip, post-kids, last month. I must say, nothing we experienced quite compares to the lovebugs. Amazing!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Julie Carobini said...

So they really say homey out where you live, lol? Cute babies :)


And I can't believe those bugs!!!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

LOL!!

I love your description of our trip. I think I'll send my readers over here to get the details! :)

LOVE the captions on the pictures of the boys....hee hee!

8:03 PM  
Blogger Anne/kq said...

I love those last two pics-- so cute! I agree, pack and play is a MUST when camping with babies!

5:08 PM  
Blogger Crimson Wife said...

Wow, you're brave to go tent camping with a baby in tow! Yuck at those bugs :-0

Thanks for sharing this at CHBM!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

This looked like a great weekend! I like the observation tower.

8:50 PM  
Blogger groovyoldlady said...

I'd almost forgot love-bugs. They were the reason car bras were invented.

Wait 'til Fly is older and camping means 47 potty trips whilst camping. Oh wait, he's a boy. Never mind.

7:47 AM  
Blogger meddlingkidd said...

Great pictures! You're a brave woman LoL!

Jen
meddlingkidd

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home