Thursday, April 23, 2009

Full-on ramble

- I can't seem to find a quarter of the things on my list when I go to a store lately. Not just food shopping, but places like Target or the craft store. I'm not looking for hard-to-find items. Has the recession made stores stop carrying stuff? I guess we'll know when people start fighting over the last package of toilet paper (er, "bathroom tissue" if you're fancy).

- My health insurance company asked me to enroll in a healthy-pregnancy program that would give me access to a nurse on the phone around the clock. It sounded good until they kept calling and leaving messages, and then when I would return the calls and be on hold for three minutes, I'd hang up. And the process would start over again. When I actually got to talk to someone to find out what they wanted, it was a guy asking me questions about very private parts, and I told him I wanted out of the program. Two weeks later, they sent me a $50 gift card and a guidebook to pregnancy. I hurried and spent the money before they realized what had happened . . . .

- Related to that, I am running out of patience lately. Or at least, I don't seem to have a great tolerance for Fly's shenanigans. The past few days of terrible-two behavior have had me greatly stressing. And I had myself a little meltdown yesterday. JP was there for me. He came home early and told me to get out of the house for a little while. I love him. Marriage definitely has its perks. He didn't even blink when I told him I'd send him a postcard.

- By the way, does anyone know how to get a two-and-a-half-year-old to listen and do what he's told?

- Specifically, not to run away from me and make me chase him and then carry him bodily back to where he needs to be? My pregnant body just isn't up for that anymore. This is how fast I have to run to catch up to him:



- And because today is Take Your Child to Work Day, I think it would be a splendid idea for JP to do just that.

- A friend told me crushed Cap'n Crunch cereal was good to coat chicken with before you bake it. Another friend said wheat germ was good too. So I bought both. Guess which one I've already had two bowls full of?

- Speaking of Cap'n Crunch, have you looked at the box lately? Doesn't it seem as though the company has "Sponge Bob-ized" the look of all the characters? Everyone looks stark raving mad.

- I am thinking about getting my hair cut. As in, seriously shortened. I've had short hair three times in my life. See my blog header? My hair isn't that long. But it has been. However, I just don't have time for it. Or patience. (See above.) And when the baby comes, it will probably look like a rat's nest unless I cut it to a length I can maintain because it is inhumanely thick (I get it thinned once or twice a year) and curly (but not in a good way). I just do not want to turn my hair into a hobby.

- So what's a good style for a hexagon-shaped face?

- We were going to go away this weekend to use tickets to a water theme park we bought before the Junebug came into being. Now we have about a month to use the tickets before they expire, and I am forbidden from going down any water slides while pregnant even though it is one of the most fun things to do in the world. (Yes, I am 11 years old.) Our plan was to drive there Friday night, play in the water on Saturday and come home Sunday. But we had to buy a new water heater unexpectedly. And a car-repair bill cost about 40% more than estimated. Now our dishwasher is broken. And we have to pay the doula. So two nights at a hotel would be financially irresponsible. If I could just talk JP into driving there and back on the same day, then we wouldn't need a hotel . . . .

- Actually, it might be easier to talk myself out of thinking it would be fun to heft my big, lazy body around a place where a bunch of skinny people were walking around and having a great time on the water slides. ("That should be me . . . sob!") Yeah, maybe not the best way to spend a Saturday.

Labels: , , , , , ,

23 Comments:

Blogger Keetha Broyles said...

I just don't know how you managed to choke down those two bowls of wheat germ this morning. I sure HOPE you put some milk and sugar on them.

Hehehehehehehehehe

10:45 AM  
Blogger CaraBee said...

After Sophie was born, I cut my hair from mid back to shoulder length. A few months later, it went up to chin. Nowadays, I have a pixie. I miss being able to pull it back into a ponytail but its nice to have hair that I can do in 3 minutes and that little hands can't attempt to rip out.

So wait, I was hoping that my daughter would grow out of her shenanigans by 2 1/2. I'm totally screwed.

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Sarah @ BecomingSarah.com said...

This is my first time stopping by, so I just wanted to say: congratulations on your pregnancy!

And I agree. Marriage does have its perks. I think when I finally have our baby and I'm going insane, I'm going to use your line and tell my husband I'll send him a postcard. Best. Line. Ever.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Um, yeah. 2.5 year olds don't listen. They have PhDs in not listening. I say, go short with the cut! You'll appreciate its effortlessness once the new banbino arrives.

3:31 PM  
Blogger jodifur said...

I wonder if we have the same health insurance. I participated in that program and I loved it. But I ended up on bed rest and they sent me a home health nurse and it was great.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

I am seriously thinking of whacking off me hair too. It is thick and heavy and I hate that during summer time, plus it is more more thing for the baby to barf on.

6:32 PM  
Blogger Bloggy Mama said...

Sounds like my list of thoughts, lately. Wishing you well....

6:38 PM  
Blogger BigSea said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:51 PM  
Blogger BigSea said...

OMG - my health insurance company has that same program and they are STILL CALLING ME. It's been almost 5 months since I had this baby, and seriously? I am so over talking about my privates to some random dude in India.

8:51 PM  
Anonymous chelle said...

Don't cut your hair!!!!! Not until after the baby comes! Really you will so regret it. Besides the very worst you can tie it back if you cut you lose that!

ugh on the healthcare thing. that would be so annoying.

I would be so bummed about the waterpark tooo....I love slides!!! I am so 11 too!

mmmm Cap n crunch sounds soooo good right now. I better go to bed before i send J out to buy some!

9:10 PM  
Anonymous much more than a mom said...

Oy. 2 1/2 is rough. It gets better! And then worse. Then better. Then worse again. ad nauseum. ;-)

9:33 PM  
Blogger Madeline said...

My vote is that JP take that little munchkin of yours to work and you go to the spa. Or at least go get a massage or a pedicure.
Good luck on all that Cheetah chasing. I suppose you could always get a pair of handcuffs and strap him to you. Now that Levi's pretty proficient on his feet I've been tempted. I guess child services would be after us for that one. Sigh.
Hugs to you!!

10:30 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

Maybe a restful afternoon with a cool drink instead?

Two and a half year olds don't listen well, and that doesn't seem to improve with age. ;) The cuteness saves them every time though.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I'm a total buzz-kill, but yeah, I'm still waiting for the 4 1/2-year-old and the 6 1/2-year-old to start listening.

I would wait to cut your hair until the baby is here. Then go to a schmancy salon and get the consultant's advice.

I don't know what to tell you about the water park. I'm thinking I would go and just do it because things will be very different when baby comes. Plus you get the pass of being able to sit in a chair and read a book while hubby does all the child care. WIN!

11:55 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Sorry I forgot everything after reading the comment about eating two bowls of wheat germ. Snort.

Hair grows back and caps are cute :)

11:14 AM  
Blogger Hip Mom's Guide said...

Hang in there and post us a picture if you cut that hair!

1:53 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

You're a great momma...and I feel tired of running after my 2 1/2 year old too and I'm not even pregnant...hang in there! Before you know it you'll have another precious babe in your arms. :)

2:50 PM  
Blogger Nadine said...

It's harder to handle a 2 1/2 year old when you are pregnant. There is a two year difference between my kids - so I understand. Glad JP was there to give you a little breather.

10:14 PM  
Blogger Mozi Esme said...

You are totally allowed to have a meltdown. I just join my daughter on hers every so often... Sorry about the water park. And do get the hair cut if you're in the mood. It's terrible trying to figure out logistics for a cut after the baby is born...

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

I love rambly posts. They are so fun to read.

We're experiencing many of those same 2-year-old "things" too. Except it's a bit easier now that I'm not pregnant anymore. It was hard with my daughter towards the end of my pregnancy - I was just exhausted and big and it was hard to have enough energy to keep up with her go-go-go personality. Keep your chin up - things will get better. :)

Oh, and I love water slides too. I haven't been on one in ages, but - boy - that sounds like a lot of fun! Maybe this summer...

11:46 PM  
Anonymous Mocha Dad said...

Go ahead and cut your hair short. I think women look great with short hair.

9:53 AM  
Blogger White Hot Magik said...

Oh the joys of pregnancy...reminds me of the time when I was pregnant and my 2.5 year old would not come down out of the play jungle at Carls Jr. and I had to climb in it all preggers and get him out.

11:42 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Yea, they don't get much better at listening at 3 either, sorry. 1 year olds aren't known for their strict obedience either. And, unfortunately, I have one of each.

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home