Wednesday, December 06, 2006

It is finished

I just ended a seven-year project that was my main work. There are so many mixed emotions about this that I don't have the energy or the time to blog about them. But in a nutshell, it makes me sad and numb at the same time. Also, in the back of my mind, I fear not having a career again.

The project wasn't working out anyway, so ending it isn't because of Flybaby. But when you have work that is going nowhere and suddenly have a giant priority like a newborn, it makes it that much easier to let the non-working project go.

So now, effectively, I am a stay-at-home mom instead of a work-at-home mom. At least until I start working on my second book, which my publisher wants.

On the bright side, I got to review another manuscript for my publisher. It doesn't pay much, but I feel it keeps me in the loop.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your changes priorities! (As you asked, is that the right thing to say?)

It's nice to feel "in the loop" isn't it. But it's nicer to have some time with our babies with nothing else to think about.

Happy day!

5:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I mean "changed" priorities.

Nothing like reading before submitting.

;-)

5:34 PM  
Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

Being a work at home mom is REALLY tough. It would be hard to work on a project. Hoping it all goes well for you!

5:38 PM  
Blogger Damselfly said...

Thanks, MMTAM and FFG. I am lucky to have the chance to stay at home while Fly is so young -- JP thinks we can swing it -- and to work on a few projects like a possible book as the opportunity comes up.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Mama's Moon said...

WooHoo for you! Congratulations! I'm so excited for your change in 'careers' and yet still being kept in the loop. I hope the transition goes well for you, and am looking forward to lots of stay-at-home stories!!!

Also, thanks for stopping by!

10:44 PM  
Blogger LBA said...

When something isn't working, and you're labouring over it ( not including actual LABOUR ! ;) .. then I think it's healthy to shelve it.

I believe in right time/right project etc ... if this project is right, there way be a perfect time for it later on, and you'll be renewed and ready for it's rebirth.

Flybaby coming first aint such a bad thing, IMO, but i'm baby-biased, and if you can afford it, you'll be ok. Perhaps you'll gain extra insight ?

P.S. - 7yrs old hey .. imagine if that project was a TEEN ? Be glad you shrugged it off before it became beligerant and started swearing at you ;)

2:50 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

It's good when you can finally come to an epiphany about things. I'm sure this is a start to a good chapter in your life. It's not directly related to your baby, but babies have a way of changing our perspectives. It's a good thing you're a stay at home mom - there's many a times I wish things had turned out that way for me.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's funny but the first year of my daughter's life, I felt soooo out of it. When I started writing my blog, it was such a small thing but keeps my writing skills "fresh" if I ever choose to start freelancing again.

10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home