Thursday, February 15, 2007

In which I reveal my inner idiot

Yesterday, Flybaby and I joined a baby and moms class at our local hospital. There were more than a dozen babies and moms seated on mats in a circle on the floor. So many babies in one place!

We opened the class by singing a song that used the name of each baby in turn around the circle. Not only were we supposed to sing the song and use the baby's name, but we're also supposed to be signing -- as in real American Sign Language, because the instructor is partially deaf -- the lyrics of the song and holding onto our little ones in our laps.

There was just too much going on in that little nursery rhyme-type song for me. Please, it's not like I get out much anymore. Balance, coordination, singing, signing and memorization? It's a good day for me if I can hold Fly while transferring clothes from the washer to the dryer.

I use all of this as my defense.

Because when our turn came, I forgot Flybaby's name!

Oh, the shame.

I mean, I eventually remembered his name. But I'm sure all the other moms in the class were thinking what an idiot mother I am. Who forgets her child's name?

I actually have forgotten Flybaby's name a couple of times. I think it's because JP and I didn't have a name picked out for him. Heck, we didn't even have a name until a half-hour before we left the hospital. So for the first two days of his life, I called Fly "Baby" because it was all I had.

You see the consequences?

Fortunately, Flybaby didn't seem to mind my goof, and he actually smoothed things over with everyone in the class when he gave out little Valentines to all the babies in the class. What a classy kid.




Little green man

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

That is quite funny. You could have called him Flybaby. I must admit that I often say my sister's name instead of Lexi's. My excuse is that I was 14 when my sister was born, so she is the "baby."

4:38 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

I have forgotten my kids' names. I often call Laurel, Ian. I've called Ian, Riley (a playmate of his). We're moms, we don't have brains anymore.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

He's cute. It makes up for a forgetful Mom.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Julie Carobini said...

At least you didn't snap your fingers a couple of times in front of his little face when trying to recall his name like I've been known to do. (Did you?)

1:44 AM  
Blogger Scribbit said...

Yup, I always have a list of names that I go through before hitting the right name around here.

1:55 AM  
Blogger Marine Wife said...

We call our youngest by her middle name, so when we took her for her first dr's visit at just a few weeks old, I just sat there like an idiot when the nurse came out to the waiting area and called out her first name. It was only when I finally noticed that the one other person sitting there wasn't making a move, that I realized they meant my daughter.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

So funny. And classy kid indeed. That photo is just the cutest thing I have ever seen!

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home