Tuesday, February 06, 2007

And we're back

Thanks for your well wishes for our anniversary weekend!

But we have yet to celebrate our 12th anniversary!

Unless you count breakfast with my stepmother, stepgrandmother and kooky brother in a waffle house presided over by a cranky, glassy-eyed waitress when no one even bothered to tell us, "Happy anniversary."

It's just not the same when you're on a business trip, which this really was. The book event went great, and everyone I met was really nice and complimentary. But driving 600 miles there and 600 miles back with a bored five-month-old baby while trying to keep your mind on your presentation and also coordinating a visit with your family (they live about two hours away from where the book event took place) is a sure way to go in.sane!

It wasn't nursing Flybaby in the back seat at truck stops. It wasn't the crazy zero-visibility weather we had to drive through. It wasn't even changing Flybaby on the back seat with cold wind blowing through the truck. It wasn't finding out the elevator at the hotel the book people set us up in didn't work and didn't have its inspection certificate posted. (How'd you like to schlep a Pack n Play up three flights of stairs? Anyone?) Nor finding out the hotel didn't have a desk or Internet connection, despite what the Web site said. It wasn't Flybaby waking up every two to three hours at night because of teething and a change of routine.

Well, OK, yes to that last one, a little bit.

Mostly, it was everything together, but the worst part of the trip for me was hearing Fly crying in his car seat, and I couldn't do anything about it. The poor little guy. He didn't understand why we weren't holding him for hours while driving. He didn't know it was 51 miles to the next highway exit. A couple times, I got out of my seat belt to soothe him. But it really was too much for the little guy.

On the way home yesterday, I began to get really depressed about the crying and what I had put him through. Also, about all the driving that JP had to do and how we didn't really get to celebrate our anniversary. Was the book event worth that? I'm still not sure. I need to work when I can, when opportunities like this come up. Certainly, anyone could understand that.

I guess what I learned is that even though I hate flying, getting on a plane looks a whole lot better after this trip!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

600 miles?! OMG. For your sake I'm glad that's over! Hope you can have an alternate celebration, ASAP.

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew! Glad that you are home safely. Good luck with teething. Have a Happy Anniversary celebration, soon....
~Elizabeth

11:55 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

That's a LONG trip. You'd think babies would sleep during a road trip, ha! We drove 8 hours to San Diego, Ian slept all of 30 minutes on that one. Road trips, so fun.

Cheer up, you still get to celebrate your anniversary, oh the possibilities!

7:34 AM  
Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

I would have been pulling my hair out! I don't know how you survived! --Happy Anniversary (celebrate this weekend)

2:30 PM  
Blogger LBA said...

You poor thing :(
Sure sounds like an ordeal.

Hope the aversion to flying aleviates itself - it sure will make future commitments all that much easier to bear ..

5:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home