Tuesday, November 27, 2007

"I love you" books

Some great folks sent me the book I Love You More by Laura Duksta to review it. They told me it was a unique, special book written by a woman with a special story of her own. I thought the promo was nice and all, but when I read Fly the book, I was truly impressed. (I think Fly was, too.)



I Love You More is really a sweet picture book. It has a good message told in a fun way, and the childlike pictures are extremely colorful -- which Fly loves. The pages and the words on the pages are big (unlike with some picture books that have small text), so when Fly learns to read, he won't have a problem reading this book himself.

But the best part of this book is, well, it's reversible! First, you read the mother's point of view of how she loves her child. Then you flip the book completely over and read from the child's point of view. Very cool. I have never seen a book like this before!

I Love You More is a great book to have, and it reminded me Fly has two other books with "I love you" in the title:



JP gave me Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney on Valentine's Day when I was still pregnant with Fly. JP and I took turns reading the pages that night. It's a wonderful story, and although it's too long for Fly's attention span now, I just know it will be a bedtime standard in a couple years. It's a newish book, but it's already a classic.



Another book -- Fly's second favorite, after Hippos Go Berserk by Sandra Boynton -- is I Love You Through and Through by Bernadette Rossetti Shustak. When Fly wants me to read to him, he finds this book and throws it on the floor in front of me (nice hint, huh?). While I read, he points to some of the pictures and smiles at some parts. I think Fly mostly loves the motions I do while I read the story, like touching his nose.

Do you have a favorite I love you book?

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger PunditMom said...

I Love You Like Crazy Cakes -- it's an adoption-themed book we love!

10:55 PM  
Blogger PunditMom said...

Oh, and I forgot -- I LOVE Hippos Go Berserk! :)

10:55 PM  
Blogger Nadine said...

That's sounds interesting. I love the fact that you flip it around and get another point of view.

12:25 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I love "Guess How Much I Love You" so much that I have a picture hanging in my son's room that says "I love you to the moon and back."

I also like the book Love You Forever.

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have a couple of those [and goodnight moon which feels like it should be in the same category] Always loved Hippos go Beserk but we just love Boynton.

Otherwise 'The Giving Tree' would have to be my favourite.

cheers

12:49 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks for the great reviews! I'm always looking for classic and new stories to share with my daughter. Right now, her favorite book is probably "Shiny, Touchy, Smelly" (watch for a review on my blog soon)...

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love all the books you mentioned. I'm a sucker for books with 'love' in the title!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

I (we?) love Sandra Boynton too. Her books are fantastic. The hubs gave me "I'll Love You Forever" on Mother's Day when I was pregnant with Isabella. I sobbed through it then, and still do. Every.Single.Time.

And I'm a fan of Guess How Much I Love You as well.

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing our book with Fly! Our mission is to generate the conversation of love around the world... so all this buzz around cyber space is really amazing to see! Have a bright and blessed holiday season!
BTW...I *love* those black satin pants!!!
Laura Duksta
author, I Love You More

9:46 AM  
Blogger jodifur said...

I like love you forever

10:00 PM  
Blogger ohAmanda said...

I need to get those two! I have Guess How Much...

Have you read I Love You Forever? *Sniff* Or Let Me Hold You Longer? *double sniff*

8:37 AM  
Blogger Bobita said...

My absolute favorite (and I LOVE each one that you mentioned) is:
Mama, Do You Love Me?
by: Barbara Joosse

I cry and/or gush when I read all of the "I love you" books, but my daughter is the one who LIGHTS UP, like her heart has spontaneously burst into flames, when I read "Mama, do you love me." It is for that reason, that it is my absolute favorite. Something about that book reassures my daughter that no matter what kind of mischief she gets into, her mommy will love her, forever and for always.

Now, I have to write a blog post about it!!! :)

4:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the book, The Runaway Bunny. It just melts my heart. I also would love to go shopping at T. J. Maxx! Enter me, please. ernestsgirl82@aol.com

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home