Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Handy man-ee

The drip in the bathtub started about a week ago. At first it was just

Drip.

Drip.

Drip.

A couple days later, I noticed

Drip. Drip. Drip. Drip. Drip.

When it got to

Dripdripdripdripdripdripdripdrip and could fill up Fly's sandpail in an hour, I mentioned it to JP, because men don't seem to notice these things even though they use said bathtub (for showering).

JP is super handy and can fix or build just about anything. Yes, I know I'm lucky, and you're welcome to have my autograph if you must. Sometimes, though, having a handyman for a husband has its downsides. For one thing, you spend time waiting for whatever repair is needed until he has the time. For another, sometimes the repair strangely leads to additional repairs.

But sometimes, it's just good for a laugh.

JP will be the first to say he isn't as good a plumber as he is, say, a mechanic. Yet he'd rather try to fix something himself rather than call a real plumber.

So he opted to spend his weekend muttering choice words at the faucet and making a half-dozen trips to Home Depot, one trip of which I'm sure was just to complain about the management decision to stop carrying a certain part that we needed to stop the leak.

Fixing plumbing also means turning off the water to the house, and that meant I couldn't clean (gasp!) or even cook dinner (the horrors!). But that meant we didn't sit down to eat until 8 pm, and that meant Fly didn't get to bed until 10. Both weekend nights.

All because JP insists on doing the work himself.

By Sunday evening, JP still couldn't get our faucet to stop leaking. In fact, it was now running a stream of water into the tub -- hot water, strangely enough. And because we couldn't let Fly haphazardly wander into the bathroom and start splashing in the hot-water-running faucet, we closed the door to the bathroom.

Which, of course, became a sauna.

(I just know all the environmentalists who read this blog have lost a half-inch in height while cringing at all of this.)

We lived with the sauna yesterday, and JP brought home a different part last night after work and made the final repair.

He beamed at me.

"Do you see what I did?" he asked.

"Wow!" I said, ever the admiring wife. "It's so ... so ... non-leaky!"

I put my hand under the faucet for effect.

But then a drip fell on my fingers.

And another drip.

And another.

"Look!" I said, gasping, showing JP my hand.

"No, no," he said. "That's not a leak. Just low-lying clouds."

I looked at him.

"It's just some dew," he said.

I patted his cheek with my wet hand.

"I dew."

Labels: , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Sounds like someone in our house. Not naming any names, but he looks a lot like my husband.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

That sounds like something JP would say.. ;)

12:37 PM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

Lol! So did it get fixed eventually?

1:46 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

did it ever get fixed?

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're lucky he is so handy! You probably save enough $ on other things to hire a plumber... ;-)

3:13 PM  
Blogger groovyoldlady said...

Ah yes...and I shall refrain from regaling you with the story of the "simple job" on the brakes of my van.

Let 's just say I got good at bumming rides for a couple of weeks!

5:40 PM  
Blogger jodifur said...

I often wish my husband was handy, he is so not. But then I remember I can just call people.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Everyone here is handy, but plumbing? We no touchy touchy the pipes. Ever!

8:23 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

Ha! I love men and their handyman pride.

9:34 PM  
Blogger the mama bird diaries said...

I'm still waiting for the plumber to call me back.

At least you know where to find your guy!

9:41 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

haha...great fix-it story! I love it. :) My hubby would MUCH rather try to fix something than call someone too...and usually he does fix it eventually, so I guess that's a good thing. :)

10:26 PM  
Blogger Nadine said...

That was hilarious. I love that he called it low-lying clouds and then dew. J is so funny. You have to give him some points for trying.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Bloggy Mama said...

I went through pretty much that exact same thing last week, too... only it was the kitchen sink. And, I am not even joking - they even discontinued a part we needed... that's too funny!

12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heheh too cute. Please let us know if the low lying clouds ever roll on by!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Dana said...

that's funy...... I love good stories that bring a smile to my face.

Sorry for the leak, did you ever fix it?

7:38 PM  
Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

:) I have a handyman too & yes, it can be as much pain as pleasure.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Cathy, Amy and Kristina said...

Dew?!!! *snort*

Hilarious!

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What are you doing with my spouse and could be please return him? He needs to fix the rototiller and turn over my veggie garden this weekend :)

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home