Tuesday, November 28, 2006

And a Happy Thanksgiving to you, too

Who pulls a baby out of his mother's arms without warning, without saying anything?!

A grandmother, that's who.

JP's mother, MM.

On Thanksgiving.

At our house.

When I complain about it to JP, disregarding the fact his dad is standing right there, his dad says, "That's how it works."

"No, there's nothing about that that works," I say hotly.

Then MM takes over the job of splitting up the leftovers for everyone after I already told everyone to help themselves and take what they wanted.

Then she answers for me when JP's aunt asks a question.

I called the next night and told the answering machine they shouldn't come over to watch Flybaby on Saturday as we had planned.

JP's parents keep saying they want to "help," but what I really need from them -- what our new little family needs -- is their respect. Without their respect, I told JP, how can I entrust them with Flybaby?

I don't like to get angry at family members. Especially when I consider them guests at my house. And when it's a holiday.

After almost a week, though, I think I'm almost over it.

Ah, holiday memories.

On a happier note, JP, Fly and I spent the weekend pretending we were on vacation. We didn't do anything we were "supposed" to do. We ate out. (OK, we ate some Thanksgiving leftovers, too.) We played like tourists in our own town. I highly recommend it. It was fun and cheaper than going away.

Although maybe that's what we should have done....

5 Comments:

Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

She probably respects you. She is just being pushy because you have such a cute baby. M-I-L are rarely easy to deal with. Hope it gets better.

Pretending to be on vacation is a great way to spend the weekend. :)

2:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It's tough establishing boundaries in the beginning. Fortunatly, my MIL is overly sensitive to such things. My mother,on the other hand....

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh sister, I feel your pain.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Nichole said...

Been there. Done that.

I agree with Amber. As a new, first-time mommy, your MIL probably assumes she knows better than you anyway. And of course your guard is going to be up in full force at Fly's young age. I barely let anyone hold E until she was at least 6 months old. Your apprehension is there for many valid reasons. Just know that it does become easier to relinquish Baby in the future. I promise. ;)

8:42 PM  
Blogger LBA said...

Gah !!

Do you know this site:
http://m-i-l-d-e-w.blogspot.com/

You could contribute to their Thanksgiving MIL horror stories :)

You've just made me start worrying about Xmas now ... ;)

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home