Friday, April 18, 2008

And now we take gift ideas very seriously

Several years BC (before child), I actually used to enjoy flipping through the Victoria's Secret catalog. (These days, I usually don't have time. Plus, I'm really not that interested in seeing super skinny people in their underwear. Not that I ever was....) JP and I would sometimes veg by sitting together and looking at our respective magazines and catalogs, pointing out interesting things to each other.

"Flannel pajamas," I said once, going through a Victoria's Secret catalog. "I love flannel pajamas!"

"Really?" JP asked.

"Sure. They're warm and soft, they go allll the way up to your neck and allll the way down to your ankles and wrists," I said, with a wink in my voice. "See?" I said, showing him the catalog's selection of winter-themed flannel.

JP must have been too absorbed in his own reading, because he didn't detect that I was kidding.

So a couple weeks later when I opened my birthday present from him, I died laughing because what he had given me was this:



(Actually, these aren't the same Victoria's Secret polar bear pajamas, but they come very close.)

JP was stunned at my maniacal giggles. "You said you wanted flannel pajamas!"

The man with the driest humor in North America -- the guy who says outrageous things in jest while others think he is being serious -- didn't know I had been kidding about the PJs. JP got it wrong, but it was really my own stupid fault.

I took the pajamas back and got something else. Cute as they were, there just aren't that many opportunities to wear flannel where we live.

The Parent Bloggers Network is asking for tales of gifts gone wrong -- or right -- to highlight a new service called Get In Her Head. It's an uber wish list that also keeps track of sizes and dates, and e-mails you preferences and ideas for gift giving. Perfect for Mother's Day coming up, hint hint . . . .

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

LOL! I wear flannel to bed year round. My husband is on a mission to make our house the polar express during the 100 plus degree days of summer.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

That's pretty cute.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Ha. My husband would say, "Well, I can't read your mind!"

I'm with you, we really have no winter season to allow for flannel.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Nadine said...

That's so funny. At least he gets an A for effort.

5:23 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

haha...that is TOO funny! :) Oops!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Arkie Mama said...

I like those. Of course, I adore the flannels, especially when paired with an oversized softball shirt.

9:44 PM  
Blogger the mama bird diaries said...

HA! That's funny.

My husband tries oh-so-hard with the gifts and never quite gets it right.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

Ooh, I'd have loved those PJs!

3:19 AM  
Blogger FreebieFinder said...

RYC: I'm so sorry about that, I have the link fixed now. Let me know if there are any other problems you have.

Emily,
Freebie Finder

7:28 AM  
Blogger Cassie said...

Oh so funny! At least you could take them back and get something you really wanted :)

1:06 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Ha! When we were first married, I would rip pages out of catalogs for things I wanted to buy. I ripped out a page with these wicker laundry baskets on it, since I wanted to remind myself to buy some. My husband found the page, and for Christmas one year, bought me laundry baskets. So romantic, don't you think?

1:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's funny. I love flannel pj's and I think my husband is on a mission to by everything else in that catalog. Hmmm.

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe that is cute ... I am always careful with my words :P

6:43 PM  
Blogger ohAmanda said...

What a sweet guy, tho'! He put back the lingerie and got the flannel! LOL!

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHA! I actually like them and can see myself all cuddled up in some lazy chair with a hot chocolate! I haven't shopped at Vicky's Secret in sooo long! Sigh! Do they make maternity underwear?

12:41 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

How sweet of him though,to pay attention to one random little thing you said and remember it.... ;)

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it when guys do exactly what is asked and then get a giggle reaction. Usually, it's not so much fun!

Ladies, I really do wish we could read your minds. It would make things a whole lot easier!!

Thanks for posting about your gifts gone (sorta) right!

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home