Friday, June 09, 2006

The media have adopted the wrong attitude

Friday, June 9:

There has been such a frenzy over the photos of Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's baby appearing in People magazine today. Who cares if it was $4 million or $40 million the magazine paid for the photos?

There is a bigger issue here that I haven't seen or heard anyone address.

And the issue is related to the fuss over the recent birth of Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes' baby, too.

In both of these families, there are two other children. Adopted children. Where was the media circus when these children were adopted? If there was one, I don't remember it -- or there wasn't as much press over the adoption. By comparison with all the recent birth hoopla, the adopted children have been ignored.

It's clear the media value the stars' biological children above their adopted children. Does society do the same?

I don't believe the media are a true mirror of society -- and certainly not the entertainment media. But their attitude toward the birth of these stars' babies makes you wonder if some people do look at adopted children as being "less than." It's sad. I don't think I am going to love my baby more than my friend loves the baby she adopted from China.

I guess I'm just saying I hope we don't make the media's attitude our own and value one life over another.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i never ever thought about it that way. i wish the entertainment media would leave all the babies alone, adopted or otherwise - but i never noticed the discepancyy until you pointed it out.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home