Monday, July 24, 2006

Stupid mama

Monday, July 24:

On Saturday, JP and I wrangled the baby car seat into my car. Man, you go to college and get a job and get promoted ... and then you have to install an infant carrier in your vehicle, and all your smarts drain from the top of your head down and out the bottoms of your feet.

And we probably put it in wrong anyway. Will check with local fire or police department ....

So today I pumped out the ungodly sum of $50 for gas in my car while I cleaned the windows and looked at the strange sight of this cute little car seat in my car, imagining myself making faces at the little person while cleaning the windows, when I realized:

I have no idea what people do with their babies while they are pumping gas.

You can't leave the baby in the car with the windows rolled up and the engine off. I think that's against the law where I live.

If you leave the engine and air conditioning running, you're just inviting someone to steal your car -- and your baby. There have been more than a couple carjackings in my area in the past few years when babies and young children were taken along with the car, so I'm not being paranoid. Am I?

If you leave the engine off but roll all the windows down for the baby, your baby breathes in the gas pump fumes. And someone could still kidnap the baby by reaching in through the open window.

That really leaves only one other option I can think of, which is to fuel up the car while someone is watching the baby at home (or if there is at least a second adult in the car with the baby). And hope you never run out of gas while driving around with the infant.

Unless I'm overlooking another option ...?

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I enjoyed your comment on DotMoms! Your question is one I've never really considered. Generally, I poke my head in the door and entertain my daughter while I'm filling at the pump. HOWEVER I have yet to fill up my car with my daughter during these temps. I think you're correct to just leave baby at home.

Congrats on the new addition to your family!

5:54 PM  
Blogger LBA said...

It's hard. I make my husband do it alone, or if I have the babe ( as I always do ), I choose a station that has "Pay At The Pump", which is where I swipe my creditcard at the bowser, fill, and drive off, never leaving the babe alone for a minute.

4:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pay at the Pump! (If you have it where you are...just swipe your debit or credit card in the pump and stand right beside the vehicle as it fills...grab your receipt and off you go.)

or...Go to a full serve station and let the attendant do the work. They'll bring a statement to the car for you to sign or a portable debit machine.

Maybe find a station before baby comes so you don't have to stress about it then?

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home