Sunday, March 04, 2007

Blog party: Three books worth reading

What's a party without a discussion about the latest books you're reading?

Flybaby is really too young to fully appreciate a good picture book (unless he’s chewing on it). But I read to him anyway.

In the past couple of months, I’ve taken to going to the library and picking up books at random that I read to him, and these are my current favs (and yeah, I've taken the images from Amazon and eBay. I know, I'm lazy!):


Little Pig Is Capable by Denis Roche. This is one of those books that pokes fun at parents, but parents win in the end anyway. (Hurray!) Kids and parents will both enjoy the humor and the way Little Pig turns this “big bad wolf” story around. For the parent who has ever said:




“Sweetie-buns, please wear this scarf. If you don’t you’ll catch a cold, or worse -- you’ll get so sick that you’ll miss second, third AND fourth grades.”




And the kid who has ever felt humiliated by the way his parents fuss over him, this will be a fun read.





Cat Up a Tree by John and Ann Hassett. Sarcastic without being obviously or obnoxiously so, this is a fun book that includes counting, so it’s slightly educational. It’s also slightly civic minded; kids might not get it -- or get it at first -- but the story shows how one person’s small problem can become everyone’s big problem if we fail to help out. And yet, sarcasm and fables were never so funny -- or so sweet!



“Then forty cats tiptoed across the telephone line and hopped in the window into Nana Quimby’s arms.”




Little Frog’s Song by Alice Schertle, illustrated by Leonard Everett Fisher. It’s been said kids love books that have rhythm and repetition, and this book gives kids that satisfaction in a subtle way. When a storm makes Little Frog lose his way home, his journey back constantly reminds him “Home is home. Home is home.” His journey also means he meets new people, of course, and the fear that comes with being lost. But Little Frog’s thoughts and dreams are always on his home:



“When evening came, Little Frog watched the wind whisper through the water reeds. He watched the soft black night quietly cover his pond. He watched the silver moon roll up from behind a hill and slide through the branches of the pine tree.”



I can’t wait to see what will become Flybaby’s favorite books! But until then, I get to pick! What are some of your, or your kids’, favorites?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

I haven't heard of these books! I love new recommendations!

Please be sure to check out a fun Bump! Photo Tag going on tomorrow! I’ll have a linky up … hope you’d like to play along and post your favorite pregnant belly pic!

Steph

9:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These sound like great books!

We read to Becca from birth and now she adores reading (well looking at the pictures at the moment)!

She has always loved listening to the Dr Seuss books!

11:01 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

I've only read to Lancelot a couple of times. When he can hold himself up to sit in my lap, I think it'll be a lot easier! :) When I HAVE read to him, we looked at 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' and 'Cordouroy.'

1:24 PM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

Cute books! I always get overwhelmed by the library since there are so many books to choose from and I am not sure what Evan will really like. Harry is not much into reading at all and will bring you books but gets mad at you when you actually read them to him, he just does it because he sees his older brother do it.

2:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I saw you on the party circuit this weekend.

My favorite book for my kids has been Barnyard Dance. They both get totally into it and love to dance around!

9:17 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

These look like great books, especially Cat Up a Tree. My all-time favorite has got to be Baby, Make Mix a Drink. It's a board book, and it's hysterical! And I read it all the time to Isabella. Think she'll take the hint?

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Mix-Me-Drink-Use/dp/1932416455

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home