Wednesday, June 27, 2007

What I'd Wear Wednesday

Some folks have asked why I call this What I'd Wear Wednesday. It's easy. I'd wear it if I had it. It doesn't necessarily mean I'd buy it, because many things I post are out of my price range for what I would pay for clothes and accessories. But it's fun to dream....


What I'd wear today if I could: this rhinestone-studded DKNY T-shirt to benefit St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. This is actually a designer item that isn't out of my price range, and it's for a good cause. Plus it's got a great message.

Because I'm a mom now, I think charities that benefit children are really something I could get into. There's a local group here that houses and helps children who have been pulled from their homes because of abuse or neglect. My friend Missy wants to volunteer to just hold some of the babies -- that's an actual volunteer position -- because the babies haven't had that human contact. Can you imagine?

What are your favorite children's charities?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Boys and Girls Clubs! We were lucky to have one built on the same grounds where our kids went to junior high. This meant that when my daughter had sports practise after school, I didn't have to leave work early to come pick her up; she could go to the club, hang out, do homework or supervised activities until *I* was ready to get her.

My daughter enjoyed the Boys and Girls Club so much that she got more and more involved, eventually becoming a "junior staff" member, helping make a difference in other kids' lives. She even was named "Youth of the Year" twice.

A lot of people think that the Boys and Girls Clubs are for underpriviledged youth, and while they certainly do as much as they can to help kids who otherwise wouldn't get to do many of the wonderful fun things they offer, it's for all kids. My daughter has gone to conferences, professional hockey and basketball games, learned to snowboard, and made lifelong friends (including one from Norway, who she's visiting right now!), all for the nominal $5 annual membership fee.

There are many great childrens' charities, but the Boys and Girls Club is one I'll be giving back to! :)

2:24 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

I can't imagine poor little babies that need someone to volunteer to hold them! The poor darlings. I'm quite busy holding Lance most of the time, but when he gets older, that's something I think I could get into.

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great volunteer position--holding babies! I don't even want to think about the fact they don't have someone to love on them!!

My mom is a part of Royal Family Kids Camp (http:www.rfkc.org) which is a summer camp for abused kids. They let them experience all the camp stuff, plus some extra stuff--like a birthday party. None of them have ever had one before, so they throw birthday parties with all the trimmings. It's a great program!

6:53 PM  
Blogger OhTheJoys said...

Hope is my religion. I love that shirt.

8:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the shirt is *cute*. Bonus ;)

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like to donate to the Special Olympics. We had a little handicapped girl living next door to us, and she participated. Since then it's been one of my favorite charities.

Cas
And I would love to hold babies as a volunteer. Children are my favorite people.

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home