Thursday, August 23, 2007

Babies go for a ride

Tonight, Flybaby went on his first bike ride! JP and I strapped him into the new Wee Ride seat, which sits in front of me on my bike instead of behind me like most baby bike seats. I liked it for the most part -- the only downside I can see so far is I have to ride frog-style, with my knees out to the side. JP thinks maybe he can move the seat forward if he drills another hole in the seat's bar. I think Flybaby liked it too. JP pedaled along with me on his bike, taking in the cool twilight of our neighborhood.

Just a few blocks from home, we rounded a corner, and I heard a baby crying. I thought I was hearing the baby crying from inside a home with a window open. But then I realized the baby was in a car in a driveway. The windows were down and the driver door was open. Except there wasn't a driver. There didn't appear to be any other person near that car at all. It sounded like a young baby, crying for all he or she was worth, and there was no one around.

JP assured me someone would come right back outside. After pedaling a few houses down, though, I stopped on the street and waited. JP waited with me. Flybaby looked around and listened. I glanced back at the car. JP looked at his watch. The baby was still crying. I asked JP if he thought we should go up to the house to make sure everyone was OK -- I imagined something terrible like maybe the mother had passed out, slumped over the wheel, and nobody knew. But we waited. We waited long enough to have been able to take the baby out of the seat and pedal back home with him or her. Finally, we heard the car door shut, the engine start up, and the crying muted as the windows were rolled up. The car drove right past us, then turned left and on into the evening with the lonesome baby inside.

Labels: , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

Sounds like fun to go bike riding!

That is seriously disturbing about the baby crying. But maybe the mom needed a minute to compose herself or something...? I guess I'd rather she left baby in the car in the driveway for a few minutes than to hit the baby or something...you never know, right?

I would have wanted to stop immediately too though. It's hard to know what to do in those situations.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Yay bikeride!!

12:48 AM  
Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

Poor baby... I hope that never happens again.

The bike ride sounded fun.

6:10 AM  
Blogger Lissete said...

He looks so cute with his little helmet. I bet he is way cuter than the boss's kid!

Babies in cars alone is a not right. Period. Cars & babies are stolen in a split second.

Babies in cars,in the FL heat is worse. Heck, I cry if the a/c doesn't cool fast enough.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Once the weather cools, I hope to take our kiddies for a ride on our bikes. Fun stuff!

Ok, so I'm a bad mommy. I've let my kids sit in our car while I ran back inside to get something I've forgotten. My head hangs in shame.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Its SCARY what people will do!!

Looks like you guys had fun on your bike ride! Could you show me that contraption next time we're over? Sounds really cool!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

That poor baby :(

The bike ride sounds like fun! I love that seat is in front of you - how cool!

8:27 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

That poor little baby! How sad...

Sounds like you had a fun bike ride other than that though...i was wondering, where did you find a helment small enough for Flybaby? I can't seem to find one for my 1 yr. old?

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you stopped. It makes me feel sick for that baby, tho'.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home