Wednesday, August 22, 2007

What I'd Wear Wednesday: Did I buy the right thing?

What I'd wear today if I could: a simple white knee-length skirt sort of like this one here.

I took Flybaby to the mall today for no particular reason, just something to do. I had a vague notion that if I saw something interesting to wear -- and the price was right -- I'd get it for something new to wear to church. When I saw a giant clearance sign in front of Sears, I steered Fly's stroller in that direction.

Sears isn't a place I normally shop for clothes. But I was hoping to be surprised.

After going through the racks -- Flybaby liked pulling on the clothes -- I was ready to buy a sheer brown-and-ivory zebra-print wrap top with a fluttery cap sleeve and a matching cami underneath. It was $44 marked down to $15. But then I wondered what the heck I'd wear it with. I don't have any brown or ivory bottoms. I could wear it with jeans, but sometimes, frankly, I get tired of jeans.

Did I just say that?!

Because I have this general idea that full-ish, mid-length skirts are the thing for fall, I looked through the skirts. The white skirt just seemed so simple, fresh and appealing. I envisioned wearing it with a simple, fitted black top -- so White House Black Market. It was marked way down, too.

Then I wandered into the junior department and found a hippie-chick sheer button-down shirt in a non-gross pink paisley and butterfly print with a matching cami underneath. (Am I all over the place in looks, or what?)

I eventually went with the skirt (which has some cool-looking gathers in it here and there, giving it some extra appeal), but now I'm wondering. Should I have got that zebra print top I saw in the first place? What about the paisley shirt? Let me know if you think I made the right choice. Vote!

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Awesome Mom said...

I don't know, it really depends on a number of factors. I avoid white on principle since it is just screaming to get messed up by the kids some how. I used to have a nice white dress shirt for church that now has a nice stain. The shirts sound nice but if Fly pulled down on them would he be exposing your girls to the entire church? I am about ready to invest in turtle necks I am getting so frustrated with that.

2:00 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

What I would give to be able to shop in the junior department again...sigh.

3:15 AM  
Blogger Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

I definately think you made the right decision. Simple and understated go with so many more things.

5:26 AM  
Blogger R said...

Holy cow do I love the Black and White store... which is my name for White House Black Market, or Black Market White House, or whatever it is. I have gotten some major dresses there for Jeff's and my anniversaries.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

It's a nice choice, although I have to admit that I also tend to steer clear of white because it (a) shows all of the remnants of my day (cheerios, 100% fruit juice, pen ink, etc.) and (b) it doesn't help when I am tan-less (white makes pale look even paler). :)

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm more of a butterfly girl than an animal print girl. But you can't go wrong with basics!

11:31 AM  
Blogger TheButterfly2 said...

LOVE the skirt! It's so pretty and simple and elegant. And I love skirts anyway. So feminine!

11:37 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Love the skirt. I think you made a great choice.

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That skirt looks so cool and refreshing! Great choice! I think the zebra would be so cool, but I am never brave enough to wear things like that. I guess I am a fashion chicken. :)

1:29 PM  
Blogger jodifur said...

I love the skirt. I have one just like it from Ann Taylor.

4:22 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

anything cheap and cute on you is the right choice every time.

5:58 PM  
Blogger info@thebabymarketplace.com said...

Hmmm ... I am lucky to get up and change out of my flannel pj bottoms (work at home). So very proud of you that you got dressed took a baby shopping and actually had some self restraint.

If you loved them you would have bought them!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Arkie Mama said...

I'm all about the hippy clothes, so I vote for the paisley, as opposed to zebra.

Love the skirt.

7:51 PM  
Blogger TheButterfly2 said...

Thanks for your comment on "A shower of sunshine for you"! I love your birthday give away because it lasts so long!

Thanks also for your comment on "What's in a name". I love the name Aubeny as well. Friends of ours named their daughter that for her middle name and I had never heard it before either but I totally fell in love. I also LOVE the name you picked...but you're right. It's hard to choose that as the name if you can't pronounce it. Then again...you can always make up your own pronunciation because your the one making the name right? It's like people who pronounce Anna "Awna". It's your name so you get to make the rules! Very pretty name!

10:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hard to make a GOOD decision on the spot, with kids with you. Buy all three, try them on at home, When JP is playing Flybaby, and return what you don't like.

Mich

7:13 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Hmm, you have me craving paisley. And the skirt...I've never been a fan of that cut, or color, but I realize that I am hopefully mired in an Allison Janney, West Wing era, classic pant and a cami and deeply unbuttoned shirt look. So rah rah to you for venturing out.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am currently all about white, at least for summer. Sure it takes more laundering, but it goes with alot and I have proven scientifically now that wearing a white (skirt or whatever) feels 6 to 14 degrees cooler than a black one.

Loving paisley. And zebra. Butterflies, not so much.

=D

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home