Friday, November 09, 2007

Island of misfit toys

I had to take a toy back to the store today.

Fly got a ride-on toy for his birthday, see, but it was his third one. JP's aunt, who gave the toy, said we should return her gift to the store it came from and get something else. He clearly doesn't need three ride-on toys.

But his birthday was in September. Now our aunt is coming over for Thanksgiving in a couple weeks. And she's probably going to want to see what we exchanged her toy for. (Hustle, hustle, one more thing to do to prep for Thanksgiving....)

Except, at the store when Fly and I looked at the toys we could get with our store credit, every one of them said "Made in China." I know China may have gotten more than its fair share of bad press for toy recalls, but even so, it still makes me wary. How do I know that the innocent-looking shape sorter won't be found to have lead or a date-rape drug or some other sickening horror? I don't want Fly to be doomed to having a collection of misfit toys.

We left with nothing. I want to do more research. I want to be a Safe Shopper.

And I want toy companies to do more to make sure the toys they sell are safe for their customers. Toy companies, do you hear us parent bloggers? I don't ever remember so many toy recalls in one year -- and it's not just because I am a new parent.

What will I tell JP's aunt?

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Tell her the truth! It's scary out there, trying to find safe toys.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

I'll tell you what, I am doing my best to not buy China. This is serious stuff. I'm gonna get up on a soap box for a moment...it's not just the toy companies, the Consumer Product Safety Commission needs to start doing their job...which is keeping us safe. Currently, they are not, and people are dying. Check out this article http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/31/national/main3434914.shtml You are right to not buy. It really is a shocking situation...Sorry this is so long, I'm just really whipped up about all the toy recalls.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Damselfly said...

Thanks for the link!

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd just lie and tell her you picked up something but then I'm a horrible sort of person like that.

4:42 PM  
Blogger groovyoldlady said...

Oh mercy. I hate the pressure and guilt of gift consumption.

"Why aren't you wearing the sweater I gave you for your birthday?"

Truth: "Because it makes me look like a rotund pumpkin."

Alternate Truth: "I just loved that color, but I already have three (the key here is NOT to clarify three of what), so I exchanged it for groceries at Walmart..."

OR "I exchanged for some much needy sexy undies." (Who's going to ask to see THOSE?"

It's even tougher with toys though.

"Why isn't Johnny playing with the PLay-Doh I bought him?"

Truth: "I HATE CLEANING UP PLAY-DOH, SO MY CHILD IS GROSSLY DEPRIVED AND WILL GROW UP PSYCHOTIC BECAUSE I AM A BAD MOTHER!"

Alternate truth: "He's not a terribly tactile child, so we traded the Play-Doh in for big boy undies!"

Then show her some big boy undies. She'll never know if she "bought" 'em or not.

*********
I spent waaaaay too much time on that comment. I'm s'posed to be working on my NaNoWriMo novel. Bad Groovy!

5:15 PM  
Blogger ohAmanda said...

Isn't it weird how many recalls there has been? I think you're being smart.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

These toy recalls really make me so angry. I don't know what to do about it.

I did sign up for the Safe Shopper program though.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

Yeah, the toy recalls are getting ridiculous.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

I know! There have been so many toy recalls it's not even funny! What am I going to get my boy for Christmas (that isn't going to cost an arm and a leg?!)...a stuffed animal? hehe :) We will see..

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think she would understand that you want to buy him a safe toy. He's your child, afterall, and you have every right to do as much research as want.

8:09 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

I agree with Melissa. You need to keep Fly safe, and to do so, you need to be an informed parent. She should understand this, and if she doesn't, well, it will make for a "horrible in-law" story for the blog, right?

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think it's best to be honest--although sometimes you have to phrase the truth in a way that isn't offensive. Really, though, how could you be faulted for wanting to make sure Fly is safe? These toy recalls have been in the news enough that even elderly spinster aunts must be aware of the situation.

I agree that the toy recalls are outrageous, and am glad my kids are older and thus we don't have to worry so much about it, compared to parents of younger kids. I don't think there were as many toys made in China when they were little as there are now. Of course it won't be THAT long before I'm a grandma with the same worries.

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home