Thursday, November 08, 2007

Well, praise the Lord and pass the biscuits!

After perhaps just having eaten too much Halloween candy, and looking ahead to extra helpings on Thanksgiving and "sampling" Christmas cookies.... Here is some good news!

Have you heard this? "Overweight people have a lower death rate than people who are normal weight, underweight or obese," says the New York Times. If you read the whole article, it's a little confusing (and seems contradictory to what Oprah's beloved Dr. Mehmet Oz said just this week about calorie restriction being a great boost to longevity). But the bottom line in the research is "compared with people of normal weight, the overweight had a decreased death risk and the underweight and obese had increased risk."

Do you think in a few years this will be filed under "strange but true," with everyone trying to keep their weight on? Or do you think it will be debunked?

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

That makes my pregnant self feel a little better. I guess I don't have to kick it into high gear once the baby is born. :)

4:02 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

This just leaves me quoting Homer Simpson...Doh!

4:35 PM  
Blogger Brandie said...

I for one, hope it's true! LOL! =)

5:38 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Seems like there's a study contradicting every study. I think we're all just pretty much screwed no matter what.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

I read this too. Interesting. But I think it makes sense. My great until is 82 years old and less than 100 pounds (no joke). His doctor is constantly telling him to gain weight so he will be better equipped to fight off illness. It makes sense that a little extra weight (or in my uncle's case, a lot) can make you healthier.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Nadine said...

It diffently takes the pressure off. How come this didn't make the national news.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm . . . I understood that statement to mean that statistically, deaths related to people who are overweight have declined in relation to deaths in people who are of normal weight.

Doesn't it still make sense that someone who is of "normal" weight might live longer, all things considered equal?

If I'm wrong in my understanding, then I need to gorge myself on Ben & Jerry's, 'cause I might die tomorrow!!

I think I may have just confused myself . . .

1:39 PM  
Blogger groovyoldlady said...

I AM overweight; I am NOT obese AND I consume lots of anti-oxidants in the form of coffee and back tea and dark chocolate.

I am going to live FOREVER! Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

5:04 PM  
Blogger ohAmanda said...

But WHY? What was the research about? That doesn't make any sense...maybe I didn't read it carefully enough...

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home