Friday, August 22, 2008

It's a girlfriend getaway -- break out the Silly String

Mind clouded and fuse shortened from lack of sleep, and feeling like a martyr for changing my diet so my breast milk wouldn't make Fly sick, last year I declared that when Fly was weaned, I was going away to a hotel room by myself to sleep and to eat whatever I wanted -- mainly a forbidden chocolate peanut butter sundae and a real-milk mocha venti. With whip.

Then it was just a dream. A far-off, unobtainable goal.

But.

Now Fly is nearly weaned.

And tonight, I am leaving for a weekend retreat. I know that sounds like I am going to be in a cabin in the woods singing Kum Ba Yah, but really I'm going to a resort on the beach a couple towns away where it's just a bunch of women hanging out by the pool and having a fun pajama contest -- like a large girlfriend getaway. And I am going to sleep all I want, and I am going to not dress for practicality, and I am going to eat whatever I feel like (mostly because I won't have to cook), and I might even jump on the bed a little and squirt someone with my secret stash of Silly String.*

And I'm going to miss Fly and JP a whole lot.

I didn't know if I could leave Fly knowing he wouldn't be able to nurse to sleep -- but he doesn't really need to nurse (I don't think he's getting any milk anyway), and I know he will be fine with JP. It will give JP and Fly the chance to spend a lot of dad/son time together. And I won't be far away if something awful happens, which it won't.

It's my first time being away from my little one, though. And I just have mixed emotions about that. I don't know if that can be cured with a chocolate peanut butter sundae and Silly String. But I will find out.

*I know you're wondering why I don't act my age sometimes, and I wonder the same thing too.

Labels: , , , ,

31 Comments:

Blogger Don Mills Diva said...

It sounds like absolute heaven!

Take me with you.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Um, I was going to say it sounds like heaven and apparently that's what everyone thinks! : )

But I so know what you are saying- I think that's why I have been on the go so much since Gray has weaned, AND eating up more cheese and dairy than I probably should since I went vegan for him while nursing due to allergies!

Steph

8:57 AM  
Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Oh! What fun! Have a blast and relish in your time away.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Madeline said...

Oooo, sounds like loads of fun! Enjoy! Every mommy certainly deserves a fabulous getaway every once in a while. I'm still dreaming about mine. I've got a ways to go though before I could possibly leave the little fellow.
Thanks for the tips you left on my blog. I'm going to see if I can find some of those oils for his ears.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

Have a fabulous time. You deserve it!

1:07 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Have a fantastic time! My first night away was in April, and although it was hard, I had SUCH a good time. Fly will be just fine, and so will YOU!

2:01 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

yipppeee - a night with the girls :)

enjoy every ounce of it friend!!

3:28 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

How fun! I know...I love nursing my babies...but when they're finally weaned it's so nice to not have to think about what you are eating and IF it MIGHT give them a sore tummy, etc, etc, etc...have an awesome time!!!

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! Having #2 just a mere 20 mos after #1 means I get over 3 years of never going out. Look out when she's weaned! I'd better not be pregnant.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

The first getaway is the sweetest...and most surreal.

Enjoy, enjoy, dear friend. You have earned it.

4:21 PM  
Blogger CaraBee said...

Oh, that sounds like heaven. Enjoy!!

6:30 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

wow! have fun!

7:07 PM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

Have fun! I need to go on some sort of fun weekend like that.

7:09 PM  
Blogger the mama bird diaries said...

That sounds great! I always have trouble leaving my kids... but it's good to know that they are very ok without me for a few days.

Enjoy.

11:17 PM  
Blogger Bloggy Mama said...

Have a wonderful time. I wish I could go with you!

1:44 AM  
Blogger Arkie Mama said...

I am soooooo jealous!!

Have a wonderful time!

9:02 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

No matter how right it feels and no matter how much you need it, i think it always hurts. Enjoy, the homecoming is sure to be sweet!

12:47 PM  
Blogger White Hot Magik said...

Sounds absolutely lovely. While it is hard the first times away and I admit to always feeling mixed emotions when not with my kiddos it is good for both of us in the long run. Hope daddy doesn't and fly aren't waiting to ambush you with silly string on your return home.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Lissete said...

Have fun! And try not to spend the entire time worrying.

11:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You'll have a blast! My first time away from my kids was always the toughest but I also came back so renewed and ready to be a mom again. It's a break we all need as mamas!

10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOooo what a wonderful weekend you will have. Totally living vicariously through you!!!

10:04 AM  
Blogger Nadine said...

Sounds like a fun time. I hope you enjoy yourself. It's good for dad and son to have some alone time, but I'm sure they will miss you.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Jenn (Life's Sweet Melody) said...

I hope you enjoyed your time away!

7:33 AM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Hope you had a great time! Never, I repeat never act your age!!! Who wants to age?

8:49 AM  
Blogger Jen S. said...

Good night, sleep well...


I'll most likely kill you in the morning.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Brandie said...

Hope you had so much fun!! I'm so jealous!! =) It does indeed sound like heaven!

10:40 PM  
Blogger Mozi Esme said...

Sounds wonderful! I'm still counting down the days til I can drink my caffeine again and have a night off, but I too think it will be bittersweet. We're getting there.

8:17 AM  
Blogger ames said...

If you can't spray Silly String and eat chocolate peanut butter sundaes as an adult then what's the point?

12:55 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

How great is that! Enjoy:)

11:08 PM  
Blogger ohAmanda said...

Are you kidding me? I LOVE silly string!

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Er2 said...

Sorry, can't get into these ridiculous girlfriend getaways things. I much prefer my husband and guy friends!

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home