Thursday, September 25, 2008

The birthday party that wasn't

On Sunday, we were supposed to have a nice family gathering at a local park to celebrate Fly's 2nd birthday. But it was a no-go.

JP and I went back and forth about the party. Mean ogre of a mother that I am, I didn't want to have a party at all. I felt we had given Fly the best possible birthday he could have wished for. I felt Fly didn't know any better and certainly wasn't expecting to have a party. I felt I really didn't want to spend five hours cleaning my house.

But JP debated me on all those points, plus he threw in extra reasons Fly should have a party.

If you can call it a compromise, JP and I decided to have a low-key party at one of Fly's favorite local parks.

Funny thing is, I ended up doing almost all of the planning.

(How do moms get suckered into stuff like this?!)

JP told me he would take care of buying and mailing the invitations. Calling people on the phone to invite them over just doesn't work in his family.

Days went by. No invitations.

Then Tiny Prints came riding in on a white horse and offered to give me invitations for free!



This is the invitation I would have chosen. But by that time, it was so close to the party, the invitations probably would have arrived after the date I'd reserved the pavilion. So it wouldn't have worked out.

But then Tiny Prints said How about some thank you notes? And I wanted to give them a virtual hug. I couldn't have been happier.

Unless Tiny Prints offered to write the thank you notes for me as well. That would have made me happier. I am a super grateful person, but writing thank-yous is a chore. I guess you could say I have thank you note angst.

Tiny Prints has so many thank you notes to choose from. These are my favorites:


Well, it goes with his name, right?


Fly has now become enamored of anything on wheels.


I just thought this kid was so funny.


These are the thank you notes I decided on because JP made Fly a train table complete with elaborate train track for his 2nd birthday.

JP finally picked up some invitations and sent them out. Four family members said they could come. Then JP's grandma went into the hospital and his parents were afraid she'd need emergency surgery. So we just called the party off.

Do you know how many cupcakes are in my fridge right now? Well, admittedly not as many as there were earlier in the week.... Mmmm....

Anyway, if and when JP's family does give Fly a birthday gift, I will be ready, willing and able to graciously thank them with Fly's own personalized thank you cards.

And someday Fly will be able to write his own thank-yous:


These kids' thank you notes are just genius. Tiny Prints, can you make them for adults?

(Tiny Prints also has fun Christmas cards and photo cards for showing off cute kiddos.)

I don't think we'll have a party do-over for Fly. I'm a bit relieved not to have a party, but I have to admit, I was disappointed when we canceled it.

Next year, we'll just make it extra fun.

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Awesome Mom said...

Cute cards, bummer about the party though.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Madeline said...

No party to clean up after, extra cupcakes, and free cards to boot. That sounds like a winner to me!
Do what my mother did with us. The minute we learned how to write half way decently we had to write our own thank yous.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:13 AM  
Blogger amanda said...

sorry to hear about the party friend :(

but you do have some very adorable cards - i love those tiny print people!!

ps - if you still need help with the cupcakes, i am totally available!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Cute cards!

1:53 PM  
Blogger jodifur said...

I love tiny print. We ordered our holiday cards from them and they called to tell me something was wrong with scanned picture and stayed on the phone with me for hours. They are amazing.

Sorry about the party.

6:18 PM  
Blogger CaraBee said...

Tiny Prints are great. Such cute cards. I admit, it is really important to me to send thank yous but man do I hate writing them out.

PS - If you have extras, I'll happily take those cupcakes off your hands!

7:05 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I hate writing thank you cards, but I do it. I get anxious if I don't have them sent out in a timely manner too.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

So much work goes into planning a party. Even if you say it's going to be a small one, there's still so much work to do..especially if you are having it at home. We had all of my kids' parties at home last year, so we will do them away from home somewhere this year!!

8:06 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Jen S. said...

I'll help you get rid of the cupcakes..oh wait, I already did!!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Power Up Love said...

the greatest gift...

1:04 AM  
Blogger Nadine said...

How cute. I think a service that actually wrote the Thanks yous would make a mint.

1:06 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Those are super cute cards...too bad you had to cancel the party! Oh well...at least you get the cupcakes all to yourself and now you have a whole year to plan for the next party! :)

10:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww too bad the party had to be canceled! Those are totally cute cards! I think your right at that age he would not expect a party :)

5:10 AM  
Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

Cute cards even if they are not needed this year...

2:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've got to go check my email but I think Tiny Prints contacted me about doing a giveaway for Mile High Mamas. And those are CUTE!

P.S. Big Reveal for The Great Pumpkin Monday morning. Consider yourself warned. :)

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home