Friday, September 19, 2008

Fond memories of little-baby baths

It's a virtual baby shower for Kristen of Motherhood Uncensored and Rebecca of Girl’s Gone Child!

Congratulations to both, who are expecting their second and third babies in a matter of weeks.

Ah, I remember what it was like to be pregnant and huge. Just to commiserate, Kristen and Rebecca (as well as soon-to-pop bloggy friends Oh Amanda and Kristi), here I am on my due date.

(Please excuse my windblown hair. I'm only posting this picture for comic relief.)



Do you know how hard it is to shuffle across the sand with a small person's head wedged in your pelvis?

Oh, yeah, you probably do, considering you are repeat moms now.

I have only one child, and -- especially if he turns out to be my only -- I like to remember the good things about his little-baby days. (This can actually be helpful when he's in full terrible-twos mode now.)

One of my favorite things about Fly as a baby was giving him a bath. During the day, he might have had a poosplosion. He might have spit up constantly. He might have cried for hours. But come evening, it was time to relax.Pouring perfect-temperature water into his little baby bathtub, setting out his super-soft towel and washcloth, and easing him into the water was almost like a sigh of relief. Gently caressing his tender skin with softly scented baby wash and maybe singing him a song -- now that was something to look forward to. Fly was usually calm during baths, and he really seemed to like the water. Then I'd wrap him in a plush towel and place him on my bed to give him a gentle massage, dress him in fresh pajamas and maybe swaddle him.

There's just something about bathtime. Maybe there's magic in the water.

Or maybe it's because all the baby bath stuff is so darn cute.

Labels: , , ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Kristi said...

Wow! You look awesome in that photo. And I love the setting too.

What a sweet memory of Fly's bathtime. There's nothing like that smell of a little one following a bath.

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the seaside picture :] It's very lovely scenery and you look great.

Also, those cute little animal baby towels? I want one for every creature on the Ark! (I mean seriously, can you imagine a caterpillar one? Or a camel one?!)

5:29 PM  
Blogger Madeline said...

You made a very cute preggy lady! And that pic of baby Fly--too adorable! I wish Levi liked baths. He's beginning to be a little calmer for them, but just a little.

6:21 PM  
Blogger GIRL'S GONE CHILD said...

Wait! You were 9 months pregnant in that photo? You look amazing! Whoa, woman. It's so funny you posted about this because today Hal and I, on the way from our hospital tour started talking about baby baths and how we used to bathe Archer in the sink and how (holy, wow) we're going to be bathing our baby girl the same way. Like... soon. Thanks for participating, mama. xo

6:39 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

You're a much nicer-looking pregnant lady than I was.

Very cute photo of Fly.

6:50 PM  
Blogger CaraBee said...

You look great pregnant! If you want real comic relief, you should have seen me at 9 months. It was FRIGHTENING. I was so scared of the baths at first, my daughter felt so tiny and breakable but after a month or so (I'm a slow learner, evidently) I came to enjoy them. Now, I hate them again because my girl won't sit still. I'm looking forward to when she's a little older and baths can be fun again. We have that same towel, too!

8:36 PM  
Blogger Motherhood Uncensored said...

Ah yes, the baby bath. I had a bunch of screamers here...

9:18 PM  
Blogger Mozi Esme said...

What a cute bathtime photo!

1:10 AM  
Blogger ohAmanda said...

So darn cute is right.

I've got 9 days left. NINE DAYS. I should have had a virtual baby shower, too. Hmmm....

(BTW, I just remembered yesterday that you sent me a gift...but it never arrived! And you said there were girl things on my registry. Maybe it was the wrong Amanda? Oh no!!)

7:09 AM  
Blogger Angela Kruck said...

Oh my gosh - cutest baby picture of Fly ever!!! I can not believe it was Fly in your belly :) It's so cool to look back at the pregnant picture and remember wondering "who" was in there... You are so good at photographing important memories... Fly will thank you one day... or Fly's children :)

8:42 PM  
Blogger dianna said...

What a cutie*!*

One of my favorite smells in the world...clean kiddos fresh from the tub in their snuggly pj's*!*

10:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You look sooooooo cute pregnant. Seriously! And that towel picture? Yummmmmmmmy baby!

7:59 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Oh that picture!!!

10:30 PM  
Blogger Bloggy Mama said...

A total doll, he is. You look great as a woman-with-a-small-head-resting-in-her-pelvis.
Love it!

10:55 PM  
Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

When I see a pregnant woman, I feel sorry for the extreme uncomfortable state she is in (even though I LOVE babies).

6:55 AM  
Blogger ames said...

Awwwwwww, I bet he really enjoyed bath time too :) Who wouldn't with such a cute outfit!

11:40 AM  
Blogger Maternal Mirth said...

That's a BEAUTIFUL photo!

And baby baths???? I think I have to agree ... they were memorable. The baths and the tiny baby parts ... and baby smells ... and baby towels all snuggled around their little baby cheeks ...

I think my uterus just jumped ...

2:18 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Oh, he's adorable! And so are you!

Steph

10:18 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

That baby in a bathtowel picture? Oof! My ovaries.

And lookitchoo at 9 months pregnant! Stunning.

2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home