Friday, November 17, 2006

A bloggy bit of this, a cranky bit of that...breasts and grandmas and squirrels...

1. Should I blog about how angry I am that a woman was kicked off a flight just because she was breastfeeding? Well, so many other bloggers have already written about that, and I don't think I could add much to the outrage.

I might add, lemme nurse! Lemme at 'em, lemme at 'em! I want to go to a nurse-in. Except, as regular readers know, I am really bad at it. But I am not going to go through what I've just gone through to get the hang of nursing for someone to push me around.

But I just feel like protesting. ("We are mothers, we nurse, get used to it!") Did you ever feel that way?

2. Maybe it's because I'm so cranky lately -- is that what I should blog about? What with all of Flybaby's crying for no reason, and my lack of sleep. Now he wants to be held all the time. People, I can hardly eat or pee anymore. He even wants to sleep in my arms, which is sweet but probably a bad thing to allow -- he's around 13 pounds, and my back and upper chest muscles are killing me. So I put him down to sleep again and again until it finally sticks with him. I really don't know what's gotten into him. I started Fly off with good habits and some semblance of a routine -- and now he appears to be turning the tables on me. (I am taking a rare nap time to blog. Oh, and to unclog the toilet that got stuck with gdiapers.)

So JP and a friend had to remind me of the blessings we have. I used to be the cheerful, encouraging one. Now others have to encourage me to think positively -- and about my own child! So I feel ashamed -- and that makes more cranky, gah! :)

3. I'm also cranky because I can't seem to go anywhere with Flybaby without getting stopped by a grandma. Maybe I should blog about that. Grandmas of the world: I love you. You're great. I loved my own grandmas. But everywhere I go in public takes 10 to 15 minutes longer -- minutes I don't have to spare -- because you stop to ogle my baby and ask me questions about him. But, grandmas, you're so sweet that I give in. I oblige. So coo and smile while my arms fall off from holding Fly in his car carrier, and while my ice cream / milk / fish goes bad, and while my careful routine for my baby goes out the window. Then I say I have to get going, and 20 steps later, someone else stops me. After that, I pretend not to see any other grandmas around. (Walk faster! Maybe I can outpace her!)

4. Or maybe I could blog about how there is a squirrel inside my house. Right now. Last year after one came down the chimney for the third time since living in our home, I begged JP to put a screen or something on top of the chimney -- and to cut those branches back. Now, I have a crying baby in one room and a confused, frightened squirrel in another, literally climbing the walls -- and I hope he stays there. As one friend put it, squirrels are just rats in cute outfits. My dining room chandelier is no place for a squirrel. I tried to use a broom to gently move him toward the open front door, but he just bonked his head into the window -- and one of the cats found the open door too tempting, so I shut it and gave up.

So, in review:

I'm cranky over the public's disrespect of nursing mothers.
I'm cranky over lack of sleep and lots of Flybaby's crying.
I'm cranky over people hijacking my time to moon over my baby.
I'm cranky because there is a wild animal on top of the bookcase in my dining room.
I'm just plain cranky.

Can anyone say TGIF? Wait -- does that really apply anymore?

And so I go back to counting my blessings, because it really does put things in perspective.

9 Comments:

Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

I hadn't heard anything about the airline story. It seems odd in this day & age.

When Grandmas start taking too much of my time, I have my husband hold her. He smiles & keeps walking. Of course, that doesn't help when I'm alone. :)

4:49 PM  
Blogger The Queen B said...

Ah...I have the same issues w/ Camille when we go out...I was just complaining about it to my husband and some friends last night. Sometimes I just don't have the time for people ogle over my absolutely adorable daughter!!

6:18 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

I'm so sorry you're cranky, but you have every right to be! Grandmas should know better. I hadn't heard of that breastfeeding story. Gah! Unbelieveable.

And finally, I hope the baby starts giving you a little more rest soon...

7:12 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

A squirrel? Oh my goodness!! You poor thing...BTW, did Fly take a nap when you got home this afternoon? I hope the squirrel didn't wake him up!

2:25 AM  
Blogger Scribbit said...

I've never heard details of your book that your profile says you published.

3:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you were able to successfully get the squirrel out of your dining room -- that definitely would be too much excitement for one day!

And hey, it's Saturday, so it's the chance for a better day (I hope.) Hang in there!

7:36 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Our babies are conspiring against us. Ella wants to be held all the time too now. And if not, she cries. And I hadn't heard about the breastfeeding story either. That's absolutely assinine.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Julie Carobini said...

Sheesh I nursed on many a flight. Had no idea about this story. Crazy. Maybe they thought the baby was a terrorist being passed some kind of secret diabolical potion..mwwahh.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Hang in there mama. Babies change. Just when we mamas think we've got it all under control, the baby decides to have different needs. We have to figure out how to accomodate. It's truely exhausting!

I know what you mean about grandma/pas at the stores. I look at it as they're reminding me to slow down and take time to look/love my baby. They grow up too fast.

5:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home