Friday, October 20, 2006

Love.Angel.Music.for.my.Baby.

Friday, Oct. 20:

JP and I have already told Flybaby (now 6 weeks old!) we expect him to learn how to play an instrument. We have friends -- several of them, now that I think of it -- who are music educators, and we hope at least one of them will teach Fly when the time comes.

However, I'm meagerly (is that a word?) starting his music education by singing to him and playing him songs from his iPod playlist.

Yes. Silly me. I created a playlist for Flybaby.

My friend Missy started it. A week after Fly was born, she sent me an MP3 of a song, saying, "From one mother of a son to another," that stirred my postpartum hormones and made me cry:

- - - - -

Up to the Moon by Kim Hill

I love you up to the moon
And I love you big as the sky
I love to watch you when you sleep
I love to hold you when you cry

One day when you're older
And taller than me
I'll say I watched you grow
Like a beautiful tree

I love you up to the moon
And I love you big as the sky
You'll always be my little man
I love you the best that a mama can

And one day if you rise up
And call me blessed
I'll say it was a joy
To give you my best

'Cause I love you up to the moon
I love you big as the sky
I love you up to the moon
I love you up to the moon

- - - - -

After hearing this song one time, I knew I had to create a playlist for Flybaby.

And then I added:

Godspeed (Sweet Dreams) by the Dixie Chicks

The Sweetest Gift by Sade

Make Someone Happy by Seal

The Heart of Life by John Mayer

Ocean Size Love by Leigh Nash

Laughing City by Eisley

And other songs, including several by Norah Jones, Jack Johnson and the Sundays. Oh, and recordings of ocean waves.

Godspeed and The Sweetest Gift are lullabies by mainstream artists -- can you think of others? If so, I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know.

I think Laughing City sounds like a lullaby.

Now I'll be jonesing for an iCrib {cough}grandparents Christmas{/cough}, an alternative to playing Fly's songs directly on the computer while he has "tummy time" in my office....

8 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I love a ton of slow songs. The songs that you mentioned were in my playlist, so I double checked it. Most of them are love songs.

But these came up:

Billy Joel - Lullabye (Goodnight, My Angel)

Celine Dion - Fly Little One

2:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the song "House at Pooh Corner." I can't remember who does it; I originally heard it done by a collegiate acapella group, but I know several mainstream artists have recorded it.

I love the idea of making a playlist for Flybaby! I might have to make one for Swanbaby on my mp3 player, too. (Yes, once again, I'm going to copy you. You can't escape it! lol!)

12:24 AM  
Blogger LBA said...

Cool - I haven't seen/heard of an i-crib before !

Lovely playlist - that's a very special thing to do.

2:28 AM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

A playlist, what a great idea for a present for birthdays/holidays!

I love the CD, "Dreamland: World Lullabies and Soothing Songs." I like that they sing in different languages.

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget "I hope you dance".

Moves me to tears everytime I hear it.

5:34 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

What a great playlist!

And iCrib!??! Why didn't they have that when I had an infant. So fabulous.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Scribbit said...

I'd never heard of an icrib. Gosh, it's just been too long since I've had a baby around. Sniff.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Nichole said...

iCrib, I thought you were joking. That thing looks awesome. E is a little old for that now though...so for now we just play CDs on her CD player (previously mommy and daddy's CD player/alarm clock).

I recommend a CD called "Mary Had a Little Amp." Kid-friendly songs sung by today's artists. There are a few rock/folk songs (and even one by Jack Johnson), and a couple noteworthy sleepy songs such as Maroon 5's rendition of "Pure Imaination" (from Charlie and the Choc. Factory) and my all-time favorite "The Rainbow Connection" sang by the Dixie Chicks. Brings me to tears.

Also, E loves the upbeat songs on the CD "The Best of Pooh and Heffalumps, Too". It has a lot of the old school pooh songs ("Little Black Raincloud" and the Tigger Song), and a couple lullabyes.

And a wonderful Mother/Son book to read is (though I'm sure you're heard of it) "Love You Forever." My husband's mother got that for him when he was young, and now it's in E's room.

I am a firm believer that it is never too early to start musical education. Eleana started playing maracas at 6 months, and still enjoys them. Whistles are fun for older babies because it only requires a little air to produce sound. Also, baby xylophones are great and E loves her Little Tykes tap-a-tune piano.

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home