Thursday, July 19, 2007

No more "knick-knack," plus, going berserk

Ever since I mentioned to JP that I thought the children's song "This Old Man" was a little pervy, he has disallowed it to be played.

What do you think?

"This old man, he played three, he played knick-knack on my knee..."
"This old man, he played nine, he played knick-knack on my spine...."

And who even knows what door, hive, sticks, heaven and gate could be euphemisms for in the wrong mind.

I don't know about you, but I don't want an old man "playing knick-knack" anywhere near my child. Maybe I'm just paranoid because someone close to me in my family was molested as a child.

Then, I also happened to mention that in the book Hippos Go Berserk by Sandra Boynton -- actually one of my favorites and the first of probably many I've memorized word for word -- I told JP one of the hippos gets deflowered.

"Give me that book!" he said. He flipped through the pages. He didn't see anything wrong.

"See?" I said, "The first two hippos? One has a flower behind her ear. And over here on this page, she still has the flower. But after the party, look at all the hippos who leave. None of the hippos is wearing a flower. Sometime during the party, that hippo was deflowered."

JP gives me a look....

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Awesome Mom said...

bwahah!!! The things you notice when you have kids and end up reading the same book five million times.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

LOL
Oh my God, that is hilarious. Subliminal messages as seen in children's books. I think this is a great Parenting magazine article topic!

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL - Awesome!

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So funny! I will never be able to hear This Old Man in the same way again! By the way, I finally mailed your book! You should get it in the next few days. Sorry for the delay. Because my internet was out, I had to go to the library to get addresses out of my email. I am also teaching VBS this week, so it has been crazy. Hope you enjoy it!

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll never be able to hear This Old man the same....

:)

4:28 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Too funny! Thanks for the laugh.

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL...I will never be able to hear that song with a straight face again!

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha that is one way to get our husbands reading children's books!

10:16 PM  
Blogger LBA said...

"This Old Man" IS pervy .. and no, he can take his knick-knack and knick them up where his knack don't shine !!

LOL about the deflowering.
Very cute ;) .. I also love how your husband is the moral police :)

2:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

HAHAHAHA!!

I have NEVER noticed about the hippos. Hmmm . . . I'm gonna have to look at my book a lot more closely now ;-)

6:17 AM  
Blogger Cathy, Amy and Kristina said...

We have several of her books -- must go re-read them with a fresh eye!

As for This Old Man, I've always thought it was a kind of creepy song myself.

9:33 PM  
Blogger groovyoldlady said...

Most of the old nursery rhymes/songs are horrifying when you realize their origin and message, but out of their historical context, we just perceive tham as cutesy rhymes.

Why did Peter keep his wife in a pumkin shell?

Why would anyone want to dance and sing about the death and Black Plague? (Ring Around the Rosie)

Why is the old woman in the shoe so cruel?

Why would any mother in her right mind put her baby, cradle and all, up in a tree on a windy day?

Why is every fairytale step mother evil, selfish, and cruel and why do their panti-waste husbands let them cow and abuse the children?

How about that adorable French song, "Alluetta"? Ripping off birdy body parts...Eeeeew!

And then there are old ones that we pull into our experience and context and...

I'd better shut up now because:

"Nobody likes me, everybody hates me
I'm gonna get me some worms.
Long, thin slimy ones
Short, fat juicy ones
Itsy-bitsy, fuzzy-wuzzy worms.

First you bite their heads off,
then you suck their guts out
Oh how they wiggle and squirm
Long, thin slimy ones
Short, fat juicy ones
Itsy-bitsy, fuzzy-wuzzy worms!"

8:16 AM  
Blogger Leighann of Multi-Minding Mom said...

Deflowered hippo, that's funny. I'll have to get that one for our daughter.

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home