Saturday, July 07, 2007

Very big moments

Clean and soft, freshly baby-scented from your bath, you sat on my lap in your blue-striped velour pajamas. You should have been asleep. But the sandman hadn't arrived yet.

Instead of getting frustrated at your not sleeping the way I usually do, I got some graham crackers and sat down with you. We ate together in the fading summer nighttime light. You don't need to be able to talk to let me know you enjoyed your bedtime snack. I enjoyed it too -- mostly just because of you, sitting on my legs, amazing me with your abilities that grow daily.

Later tonight after you finally fell asleep, your dad and I watched a movie that made him want to hold you. I told him to hold you, that you will never be this small again. Go hold your little baby, I told him, it doesn't matter if he's sleeping. And he did. Your head rested on your dad's shoulders as he nearly slow-danced with you in your room.

We both love you and claim these small moments as very big moments in our hearts.

Because today you are a 10-month-old baby, and soon you will be a mischievous toddler, a rambunctious little boy, an awkward tween, a gangly teenager, a broad-shouldered young man. So today, we'll take you as you are -- our little baby boy. We are so blessed.

Labels:

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sweet.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Lissete said...

Sweet post and so true, trust me.

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome, and so very true.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Kristi said...

I loved this post, and it brought tears to my eyes. There have been so many moments when I've wanted to wake up Isabella and just hold her in my arms and watch her sleep. Thanks for reminding me to treasure the small moments and to remember that she's only going to be this little for a short time.

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Time escapes us so quickly. Holding a baby disappears into a memory and it truly is heartbreaking to think it is gone forever. Good for you and your husband for taking the moments when you can :)

10:39 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

You have a beautiful way with words.

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was beautiful!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How wonderful! I, too have been treasuring my baby's sweetness, especially since I know this kind of innocence doesn't last long. :-)

4:56 PM  
Blogger Nadine said...

What a sweet, lovely post.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Lady M said...

Little snuggly ones. My two-year-old crawled into my lap today, and it reminded me of when he could do much more that coo and sleep. Sweet tale!

3:21 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Perfection! So wise of you to embrace the moment and encourage daddy to as well. Thank you for sharing this and taking me back to a late night snack with my own baby.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

this made me tear up! What movie was that?

8:07 AM  
Blogger Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

Those are the sweetest moments!

9:22 AM  
Blogger Mama's Moon said...

Okay, *sniffle* now I just wanna run and hold my little babies in my arms all day long! That was simply beautiful and so sweet...

1:12 PM  
Blogger Cathy, Amy and Kristina said...

Sweet and beautiful post.

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those moments.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

That is a wonderful post.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Pendullum said...

Amazing how we can truly see them as a memory isn't it...
As we know how finite they will be that small, we take in every second... and then befor eyou know it they are running...and you truly did not know where the time went...

7:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home