Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Germs win

I admit it, I have been a germophobe when it comes to Flybaby. A toy falls on the floor? It has to be washed or sprayed with sanitizer. His high chair at the restaurant? Scoured with antibac wipes. My adorable nephew's shoe-clad feet step on Fly's blanket? I have to get out a new blanket. And don't dare be a stranger who reaches out to touch my baby. If anyone said I was overdoing it, I just pointed out that Flybaby has yet to get sick. I have been careful about washing my hands, too.

But now.

Now, Flybaby is crawling. And he can feed himself. So every little piece of lint or stray blade of grass that has been minding its own business on our floor is now food. One time, it was a foam earplug JP thought he had thrown away.

Trying to do some laundry, I looked down to see Flybaby chewing on something. And being quite happy about it.

Afraid he might choke on his ersatz snack, I tried to get him to spit it out.

"Ptooey! Pbbbllt! Spit it out, sweetie!"

Flybaby just smiled and kept chewing.

"Ptooey! Ptooey! Pbbbbbbbbblllllllth!"

Flybaby just laughed at me.

So I did the only thing left to do.

I stuck my unwashed finger in his mouth. Did a sweep. And came up with a granule of cat litter.

Aaaaaagh!

So now I figure my finger has to be cleaner than anything he could put into his mouth....

But strangers still better keep their hands to themselves.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ahhhhhh, there is no sanitization once they start crawling. It is exponentially worse with #2 because when I only had one, I could at least control the environment. Now, his sister feeds him everything.

Don't ask me about when we took #1 camping right after she started walking. Nor how she ingested every single thing in that campground....

10:12 AM  
Blogger Melissa @ Banana Migraine said...

Delphine can't even crawl yet, but she seems to find the tiniest thing to put in her mouth! Plus as Amber said, having 2 makes it even worse.
Good luck with all of it!

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this wasn't funny to you at the time, but it sure was funny to read! I am on child number two, and she pretty much eats dirt and everything else. I was like you in the beginning, but at some point, you lose control!

1:05 PM  
Blogger Leighann of Multi-Minding Mom said...

I hear about people disinfecting their toys. I don't know that I've ever done that. I should probably be more vigilant, but I figure exposure to all those germs beuilds immunity! At least that's what I tell myself!

3:52 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

AH HAH!

So THAT'S why you don't like it when Fly plays with Lance's toys, hmmm??

*grin*

You realize I'm going to tease you mercilessly about this, aren't you? ;)

4:49 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

In the beginning, I was exactly like you. And then I gave up. Isabella is crawling now too, and she is not only full of grime from my dirty floors, but often I'm picking cat hair off her too. Luckily, she doesn't mind!

8:37 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

What you described sounds exactly like what I go through every day too! I go everywhere with a bottle of those sanitizers - for my finger and everything else. I know I can't kill all germs going into him but I'm hoping that my diligence will cut out the major ones.

8:57 AM  
Blogger LBA said...

My boy ate a tiny, tiny spider once. I found him in the window with a tiny tiny spindly leg hanging out of his mouth ( gak ! )

Yeah, but once they're crawling ... eww ...

The boy has also eaten kitty litter, and at one stage was rally enjoying the salty fish flavour of dried cat food - argh !! vomit !!

:)

8:04 PM  
Blogger Mama Bones said...

Sanitiser? The bottle has only been used once. I gave up a long time ago on keeping my boy away from germs. At some point his main food was dirt. Between 9 & 15 months he would spend his time in the bath slurping the water. I learnt long ago that a bit of dirt and bath water don't do him any harm. It keeps me sane because I don't have tantrums going. These days, he only dringks his bath water about once a month, but he does suck on his face cloth - when he gets a hold of it.

5:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right. Once they start crawling, that whole clean thing is out the window! I'm not a germophobe like my dh, so when he's around, everything is wiped off, etc. I guess he balances my germiness out!

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yuck! I shudder to think of cat litter in the mouth. Flybaby is going to keep you incredibly busy with the crawling & curiousity!

7:49 AM  
Blogger Dayngr said...

So true! I was always a bit of a germophobe but when I had kids I really became germ obsessed. Blech! There is just so much icky stuff out there.

4:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home