Monday, April 28, 2008

Quiet time

Fly doesn't watch much TV. I think everyone needs a little down time, though -- time to relax and be quiet -- especially an active little boy who seldom slows down for anything.

Even book reading is a sport for Fly, as he rapidly turns pages, does motions I invented for certain books and gets up and down off my lap or off the floor to get more and more books for me to read. I have even been known to turn a somersault if the book character does. So I don't want anyone getting the idea that reading is quiet time in my house. Not at 19 months old, anyway.

But Fly will settle down for the Baby Einstein caterpillar that creeps across the screen. He loves Baby Einstein, it turns out. If he is going to watch anything, I think it's good for him to view something educational.

The Baby Einstein folks sent their latest DVD for us to review: Baby's First Sounds, for ages six months and up. It features five main sounds ("ah," "buh," "duh," "ee" and "mm") and provides examples of how to use them -- first in English, then in other languages. It's really fun and, as always, uses the Baby Einstein puppets and bright illustrations throughout the video. We also own the Baby Einstein DVD Language Nursery (which includes several foreign languages), and I think this new video is even better than that one. I would have liked to see real people making these language sounds, but Fly hears -- and sees -- JP and me talk aplenty.

(At last count, Fly says 27 words and makes six sounds that have meaning. For example, he can say dog and bark, and he can say duck and quack, and he knows the connection between those animals and the sounds they make. He can also recite the alphabet to E. I just had to brag a little!)

Baby's First Sounds is a fun video -- and a nice half-hour of rare quiet time.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Bloggy Mama said...

Sounds like such a CUTIE!!!! Good work, buddy!

6:41 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

i would be the bad mom who already lets her six month old relax to baby einstein's first sounds...

she puffy hearts it.

and if truth be told, she doesn't relax, she talks (screechs) to the puppets and is giddy the whole time it's on.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Nadine said...

What a smart little guy...I would hope that when I come here I not only see very cute pictures, but get a little mommy bragging. I love how they grow and learn. Aren't they just wonderful?

12:17 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I do like those. I got Baby Einsteins Body by Divinci and my daughter really likes it too. Even though it is education though I really try hard not to let her watch TV, plus I don't want to abuse the fact that now I have something that can let me get projects done, so I only allow myself to use it 3 times a week. But I really need to go get another one.

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home