Friday, November 21, 2008

The state of things

I'm sitting here on a Friday night with my whole head smelling like olive oil, my husband alternately coughing, moaning and winking at me (likely a fresh case of conjunctivitis, if you ask Dr. Damselfly, along with a cold) and wondering where my day has gone. Where my week has gone. Where my mind has gone.

First, the olive oil: You know the economy. The one that almost doesn't really exist? I decided to sacrifice my salon highlighting habit in the name of the family budget. This meant a trip to my (former) favorite stylist to, as I said, "reverse my highlights." When it was all done, he declared me, as he said, "a raven-haired beauty." Oh, hee hee. It wasn't until I got home and looked at myself in good lighting (why shouldn't a salon, of all places, have decent lighting?) that I realized he was right. I now look like a contestant in the Miss Goth Universe pageant. My hair is pretty much black.

I should note my hair has never naturally been this dark.

So I consulted my next-favorite stylist, Google, and learned I could strip away some of the color by putting Prell shampoo on my dry hair for 45 minutes. (This required a trip to the store. I don't keep Prell around at home.) Then wash it out, watch the dye go down the drain, and apply hot oil.

I may have just ruined three towels with hair dye stains. And nearly burned my scalp.

But my hair still looks black.

Can I say it? Lather, rinse, repeat as needed. Tomorrow morning.

Now, the husband: He is clearly sick. Two nights ago, he came home, slumped over dinner, went to bed without saying a word and fell asleep. Leaving me to entertain and take care of Fly for the rest of the night. JP finally woke up ... just as I was putting Fly to bed.

Today, he went to the doctor, who told him he doesn't have a cold -- he has a respiratory infection. I asked him what the difference was. He said he didn't know. Back to Google again, and voila! Apparently a cold is a respiratory infection. But I think the "respiratory infection" proclamation just gives him a good reason to shuffle around the house and go to bed early. I know you're not supposed to hold grudges, but I clearly remember having mastitis once with little sympathy from JP, and another time I had a bad cold (couldn't take anything because I was nursing) and JP left me with Fly all day to go to a car show.

I've heard it said before, but it's true: When it comes to being sick, men are just big babies.

And now that I pointed out to him his left eye has been red for hours and it's oozing goo, having a possible case of pinkeye will just give him an additional reason to get out of doing things. Anything. All he needs now is to stub his toe really good, because then he clearly couldn't be expected to walk.

I'm not really trying to come down hard on JP (you know how much I appreciate my husband).

But this is all plenty to make a mama grumpy. Between a sick husband, my hair crisis, preparation for Thanksgiving and then a weeklong vacation, and being so behind in my to-do list that a birthday gift I started making for Fly (who turned two in September) will now be a Christmas gift if I'm lucky -- and assorted unraveled nerves as of late -- I need to take a blogging break. I need time away from the computer to slow down and yet catch up on real life. To make my hair brown again. I hope to pop in now and then, but I won't be around much until some time in December. I'd love to blog through my vacation, but I've heard Internet access rates there are crazy.

So, I will miss you and you and you, and I hope you have a great Thanksgiving. Don't mind my olive-oil-infused tears ... maybe they will make the wrinkles around my eyes go away.

Labels: , , ,

25 Comments:

Blogger Awesome Mom said...

Have a good break. My husband always has whatever it is that is going around the worst, no matter how bad I have it. Sigh!

1:20 AM  
Blogger Mozi Esme said...

Sounds like a sad state of things!

Pass along my sympathies to your husband... I think all men are babies when they get sick. The good thing is it doesn't take much to make them feel cared for. Just 24-hour nursing care and instant response whenever they groan.

Oh, and have a good break. We'll miss you!

3:24 AM  
Blogger Lady M said...

Will miss you! I am also so behind on everything that I need a nap before I can even make a plan. Have a great Thanksgiving.

3:53 AM  
Blogger groovyoldlady said...

(((((Damselfly)))))

Tell the man to put a black teabag on his eye (soak it in a bit of hot water first and squeeze it out.)

We'll miss you!

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh you poor dear! But...way to see the positive with the eye wrinkles!

10:42 AM  
Blogger Madeline said...

It's a good thing Hubby previously built up hubby points!
Hope you enjoy your bloggy break. You'll be missed!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Nadine said...

Enjoy your vacation and your break. I hope you don't stay away too long. You will be missed.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sigh, everyone is going away for Thanksgiving! Have a blast, you succulent, oliver-oil smelling mama. Can't wait to read all about it!

5:11 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Enjoy your break, rest up, fix your hair and come back soon!

7:27 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Take as long of a break as you need. We'll be waiting for you when you come back!!! Unless during your break we took a break, too....but we'll be back after our break. :)

10:12 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh my! It sounds like you definitely deserve a break! I hope you enjoy it thoroughly and that everyone is happy and healthy in no time. Don't worry about "us" {your readers}. We'll all be waiting to read your blog when you return. Sending hugs your way...

10:15 PM  
Blogger Mozi Esme said...

You've been tagged. Nothing to stress over on vacation, though... :)

4:22 AM  
Blogger amanda said...

enjoy every moment of your break - you and your new hair deserve it :)

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a good break! Just think, by the time you're back, your hair will be fixed and your husband will be better and all will be right with the world. I hope that happens sooner rather than later!

2:10 PM  
Blogger CaraBee said...

I'm a month past needing a haircut (big deal when you have short hair), also have a sick husband who thinks the world has stopped turning during his illness and I'm feeling very blah about blogging right now. Love the reading, just not so inspired for myself. No vacation in sight for me, though. Enjoy! Enjoy! Enjoy! Things will all be brighter when you return!

8:26 PM  
Blogger messyfunmommylife said...

Give it a few days either the hair color will grow on you or it will fade! either way work it girl!

10:09 PM  
Blogger Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

I soooo feel your pain about the hair...last week I decided to color mine on my own....my sweet daughter told me I looked like a lollipop when all was said and done...yep---my hair was orange. And like you, I got some prell! It's faded quite a bit.

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You will be missed, but I do hope the dye fades, the cold vanishes and your turkey is perfect! Happy Holiday :)

2:48 PM  
Blogger Bloggy Mama said...

Happy vacationing, sweety!

1:12 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Ya'll come up here. Fly'll have three little girls to keep him busy and Mr. Damselfly can hang with Sean, in the meantime I'll fuss with your hair (not fixing it by any stretch) and make you laugh.

It'll be grand!

7:19 PM  
Blogger the mama bird diaries said...

I once had a colorist make my hair super dark (I had asked for my natural dirty blond color). He told me to wash my hair with Tide and it would come out. Did. Not. Work. I had to get highlights to fix it. So much for saving money.

10:05 PM  
Blogger ohAmanda said...

So, I shouldn't laugh at your hair fiasco? ;)

And..."I've heard it said before, but it's true: When it comes to being sick, men are just big babies." SO TRUE. I am experiencing it right now. GRRRR.

Miss you already!

1:58 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

You poor thing! I hope your vacation is just the thing you need to erase all the stress you're under.

6:05 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

you poor thing! hair trauma is one of the worst. As far as "minor" traumas go.

and what is with this sick thing going around? to people in so many places. I'm tired of it!

hope you guys get better soon.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well I hope you're able to enjoy your vacation and your goth inspired hair color, while it lasts, anyway.

Have fun and we'll miss you while you're gone.

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home