Friday, November 14, 2008

It's beginning to look a lot like ... uh-oh!

Because JP is the manly-man Mr. Fixit, I rarely go to Home Depot. I had to go, though, for some gardening items.

I didn't realize Home Depot had turned into Holiday Central. It looked like this:



Fly was extremely excited and led me right over to all the Christmas displays. The biggest one was a train going around on a track with loads of miniature decorations, all surrounded by a short picket fence.

Fly loves anything with wheels, and he couldn't resist the lure of a moving train just inches away from him -- and at his eye level (of course!). He reached through the picket fence and grabbed the train.



The train derailed just enough that it stayed mostly on the track but wouldn't run anymore.

After I was done reproaching Fly and told him not to touch anything else, I reached over the fence and tried to set it back on track.



Oops.

I tried again. The train looked as though it was on the track all right, but it still wouldn't move. The wheels were turning, but nothing was happening.

I glanced nervously around. I was hoping someone in an orange vest would appear, smile, say, "It's all right. Third time today!" or something to make me feel better. But no one seemed to notice.

Then I saw what looked like the train controls, attached to a plug that disappeared under the display. I pushed a button on the control unit, hoping to turn it off.

CHOO! CHOO! CHOO! jingle jingle jingle chug chug chug....

Whoops. Wrong button.

I tried another button. The train shut off.

The sound was still playing, though.

Maybe I should just stop trying to fix this thing and leave well enough alone, I thought.

Glancing around nervously, I redirected Fly to an aisle of moving lit-up reindeer.

And none of the orange vests seemed to notice.

But I still felt like this:

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger CaraBee said...

Too funny! That sounds like exactly something that would happen to me. I try to fix a situation and wind up making it worse. I have found, though, that the "experts" at Home Depot, at least in my area, are not all that committed to their jobs and are usually found clustered in groups talking about where the party is that night. Thus, I am a Lowe's fan.

8:11 PM  
Blogger the mama bird diaries said...

Reminds me of being in Urban Outfitters today for about 3 minutes. My girls practically destroyed the place.. grabbing earrings, sweaters, like they were looting the place. I got out of there FAST.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Madeline said...

You are too funny! Oh, the things that I have to look forward to with a little boy in tow.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Oops! :) Well...on the bright side, at least the train was still on the tracks and not travelling down a random isle somewhere in the store! ;)

11:19 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

You tried more than I would have to fix it. Of course my son would have broken it more and there probably would have been no hope, but whatever.

2:51 AM  
Blogger Nadine said...

Isn't that just crazy. It always seems to happen to me and then you just keep looking around hoping you didn't break the thing.

Those orange vest never seem to be around when you need them...what's up with that?

5:57 PM  
Blogger Lexi and Jordan said...

Kids are always getting us in trouble, aren't they?

1:53 PM  
Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

Sorry, that last one was me.

1:54 PM  
Blogger ohAmanda said...

That is so me!

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahah this is why I avoid all stores this time of year!

7:41 PM  
Blogger Mozi Esme said...

You don't know how many times I've tried to walk calmly away from the scene of a baby crime with an innocent who-me? face. Furtively checking every way to make sure no one saw that it was mine who did it. :)

2:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home