Monday, October 27, 2008

Giving a whole new meaning to self-flagellation

It's not my fault if Fly thinks he has to hit himself in the face as part of his religious upbringing.

Well, maybe it is. A little bit.

I thought it would be nice to show Fly how to pray. After saying a brief prayer (toddler attention span and all), I pulled my hands away quickly, and loudly said, "Amen!" I thought saying Amen loudly would make it fun. And I thought the hand thing would give him something to do. A way to keep Fly's interest.

Praying has his interest, all right. Now he wants me to say one quick prayer after another just for the chance to shout, "Amen!" Kind of like this:

"Thank you, God, for all this delicious food. AMEN!"

"Thank you for your good example of love. AMEN!"

"Thank you for little boys. AMEN!"

Somewhere along the way, instead of throwing his hands apart, Fly started slapping himself in the face. So every time he says, "Amen," he smacks himself. With both hands.

If they don't already, the people at the church are going to really wonder about our family....

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Andrea said...

haha...that is TOO funny! And cute. :) I love the things these kids of ours come up with!

2:24 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

too cute friend!!

seriously i can just picture you saying amen and him bonking his head!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

Lol! Kids like to do some really funny things.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Ha! If your church is anything like mine, it could use a little comedy, and I'm sure Fly will make quite a few people smile.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Nadine said...

That's cute. AMEN! I would love to hear it. I know it would put a smile on my face.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Madeline said...

I just had to collect myself from the floor after laughing over that sweet story! Too funny! What fabulous enthusiasm.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

I love how kids learn things, but just a little bit wrong.

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is WAY too funny! I love the funny things kids come up with.

This is Stephanie, sorry I haven't been on in forever, I used to read your blog back about a year ago. I used to be called, the "queen of cute shoes"

Here's my new site:
www.ourmomentintime.wordpress.com

2:42 PM  
Blogger tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Hey, he's trying, right? Such a sweet thing to record, because we both know it won't last...

4:20 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Oh Fly...what a little cutie!

9:56 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Let's just say we sit in the WAY back at church because my children don't qualify to be the "reverent children" setting an example up front!

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL -- little ones are such fun!

When my 19 yo was little, she would earnestly pray and end with "Hey Man!" Sounds almost like "Amen", doesn't it?

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha .... I can so picture this!!! hehe

7:03 PM  
Blogger Jen S. said...

I'll have to see that sometime!

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home