Wednesday, October 15, 2008

What I'd Wear Wednesday: Layered bustier

What I'd wear today if I could: a look like this one (by Trina Turk from a few years back -- this is a goody from my ol' Style File) -- a bustier over a crisp white shirt. I loved this look when I saw it a few years ago, and I saw it at the mall again recently. I think a simple bustier or corset over a white shirt just looks so fresh and so fall. Pair these two elements together, add dark jeans or some nice pants and cool ankle boots, and you've got yourself an amazing date-night or night-out-with-the-girls look. Hat optional. (And my humble recommendation is to skip the hat altogether if you're going out after dark.) If you already have a bustier from, say, summer, you can keep wearing it into fall this way.

Now my quest is just to find a nice bustier. I know Bebe and Charlotte Russe stores usually carry bustiers, and you can order them through Victoria's Secret. Or eBay.

Oh, and I've also seen some shirts made to look like a corset over a shirt, but they're just one piece -- which is fine -- but the two-piece real thing is more chic.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

please don't ever come look in my closet. you'd die of my lack of style. which is why i don't do what i'd wear wednesday. because every week it would be sweats and a t-shirt. with striped socks. I really like striped socks.

3:16 PM  
Blogger CaraBee said...

I have to admit that although I think this looks cool in a picture on a model, I can't imagine wearing it myself.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Maternal Mirth said...

Bustiers are tricky. The key is actually trying them on and possibly taking them to a tailor to have them fit properly. Otherwise, breathing can be a challange and just keeping the thing positioned correctly is continuous "pull up & adjust" exercise.

How do I know? I went through a phase where I loved bustiers and berets. Tres chic and slightly trashy in a French hooker kind of way.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Nadine said...

One word - Hot.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Mozi Esme said...

Very chic! Though I don't think I could carry that look off, personally :)

5:00 PM  
Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

I like it!

8:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ummmm, no thanks. I'll stick with last week's offering. :-)

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAH! I knew I was ahead of my time when I wore my pink & black satin bustier with a long-sleeved black shirt beneath it. I even had a guy at my waitressing job that I wore it to tell me "I just don't like that, you shouldn't wear it again" ... grrr!

I will just be happy when I can fit in my bustiers after baby...

10:03 PM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

It's cute...I don't know if I could pull it off...but cute!

8:32 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I love it, but I could never, in the words of Tim Gunn, make it work.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home