Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A Tubby post

This blog has sunk to amazing new lows. I'm about to ramble about Teletubbies. If you don't want to read it, please scroll down and watch my video. Or don't. Thanks!

I've mentioned before that Fly loves Teletubbies.

I didn't mean for it to happen. It was an accident. One afternoon when he wouldn't sleep, I sat down in frustration and turned on PBS, for lack of anything better in mind to do with a cranky, non-sleeping child. Teletubbies happened to be on, and he laughed and jumped in glee like I had never seen him do before.

Huh? My kid loves Teletubbies?!

(My friend Guinevere said if I gave Fly a Teletubbies-themed birthday party, she would mock us for all eternity. But she didn't have to worry.)

Since then, I have seen enough Teletubbies to write a thesis on them. But don't worry -- I won't write the whole thing here. Basically, I believe there are four of them because personality type experts say there are four basic personality types, which the Teletubbies personify. There are two boys (Tinky Winky and Dipsy) and two girls (Laa Laa and Po). Tinky Winky and Laa Laa display more feminine traits; Dipsy and Po are portrayed as more masculine. They live together in a Uptopian community, but they don't have parents -- which is distressing -- anyway.... I'm still working on my thesis. But you get the idea. Or not.

It doesn't matter whether you get it, because after all, it is just Teletubbies, and they have gone off the air where we live as of three weeks ago, and who cares what I think anyway?

Because it's I See What You're Saying Day (which I have probably failed already by writing so much), here is a video for your entertainment.




I think I'm ready to enter the Sundance Film Festival now.

Labels: , ,

26 Comments:

Blogger ames said...

ummm...?

That was a nice break from all the cyber security stuff I've been doing this morning ;) Can't say I've ever watched an entire episode of teletubbies, but I *know* there's something going on that only toddlers can tune into...I feel so left out.

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting that he was so keen on them ... we have somehow by passed the teletubbies phenomenon.

11:11 AM  
Blogger the mama bird diaries said...

I've never seen the teletubbies but as long as they were on PBS, that can't be bad, right?

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh the Brits and their Teletubbies! I never know where and when it's on , thank GOODNESS LOL

Did you know Simon Cowell invented the show?

11:45 AM  
Blogger CaraBee said...

I wish it would rain chocolate here.

12:46 PM  
Blogger Skoots1moM said...

i would never in my life have figured simon cowell to be the producer of this show...wow! what a great trivia questions...you should send it in to the game people.

i thought it only rained skittles....oh, well, now we can enjoy choco, too!

Enjoyed your video...
have a gr8 week!

1:05 PM  
Blogger carrie said...

yep, you're definitely cracked.

and you cracked me up.

but I wanted to see you. Next time, hmmm?

and you have a really nice voice. I envy that. so soothing.

read me a story sometime.

1:32 PM  
Blogger sara said...

teletubbies came on the seen when my kids were too old to watch!

But I would like it to rain chocolate! please?!

1:55 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

My oldest loved Teletubbies until she was about 18 months, then she moved on to Wiggles.

Baby D really liked your video. She cried when it was over.

2:24 PM  
Blogger 2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I agree with Carrie--I think you have the kind of voice to do this professionally!

3:09 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

honey i think you need help.

maybe a tubby support group :)

tee hee

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julia had a short-lived Teletubbies phase. Laa Laa was her favorite. I will admit, I sort of dug the intro/outro song. But,w hen it comes to color-coded characters, we much prefer The Wiggles.

4:09 PM  
Blogger BaronessBlack said...

That was excellent! Have you thought about contacting the BBC?
There may be an opening.....

4:52 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

What a hoot!
I found the raining chocolate surprisingly soothing. Made me want to get my mat out and take a nap.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Diane Meyer said...

Yes, you are ready to take your show on the road.
Kids must LOVE you!

5:23 PM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

Harry (my Teletubbies addict) loved that video! I have no idea why he likes that show so much but he adores it and the Lala toys that my sister scared up for him.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Raining chocolate? I am all over that. :) You are so creative....and you have a really pretty voice, too! So nice to meet you.

1:26 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

OK... I am laughing so hard... that was great! Really! LOL! Look out Sundance here you come.

2:05 AM  
Blogger Greg C said...

Great video. You had me laughing so hard, I got caught blogging at work. Oh nooooooooooooo Po. :) No biggie. Thanks for the laugh.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Amie said...

That sounded just like them!!! :) Good job.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Madeline said...

Definitely ready for Sundance! :)

11:53 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

So sad TinkyWinky did not get an M&M to match him! Very entertaining but disturbing.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

You've got the characters down so perfectly! When you're ready for Sundance give me a call, I'm a great editor and you can stay at my house for the festival. :)

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahaha! I'm speechless. My 4yr old sitting here was thoroughly entertained! Thanks for the smiles.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Beth @ TheAngelForever said...

Glad to see that you still have a sense of humor after watching one too many Teletubbies shows. We actually had a rule in our house that our kids were not allowed to watch them or Barney. Of course additional characters have been added since they are getting older and new items show up.

More power to you for watching!

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am still making my way around to all the videos… now that they’ve been up for 4 days. I started at the beginning and then restarted at the end. I just worked my way back to the linkys in the middle. I wonder what that says about me? LOL. This has been a blast.

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home