Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What I'd Wear Wednesday: From the style file

What I'd wear today if I could: this floaty top from ABS by Allen Schwartz, circa 2004. (I'd have to undo that bow, though.)

It's almost embarrassing to admit, but before Fly came along, I must have had a lot of free time on my hands because I actually set up a folder on my hard drive with nothing but pictures of clothes and accessories I liked. I guess it was the precursor to WIWW. This top is from that file -- still on my computer -- and believe me, there are plenty more where that came from.

Tiered camisoles seem to be back this summer (although longer now, and usually with more tiers), and when I came across my old folder of style pictures, I sighed over what will never be. An ABS top from four years ago? Good luck. Even if there were some really great consignment shops where I live, and even if I had the time to go looking, and even if I had money for a cast-off designer top, I would never find this exact thing. I could try to sew something like it, sure, but there is that pesky free time issue.

We'll just call this The One That Got Away.

What item got away from you that you still think about?

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger irmaJ said...

I love that top... too bad it doesn't look good on someone like me!! I can always dream! It would have looked fab on me about 30 years ago! No, make that 35 years ago.... Oh no I just gave away my age.... I still LOVE to be stylin' though. Who said you have to be young and pencil thin to be in style. I love to wear my heals and cool stuff, but the size 3.... gone with the wind!

6:03 PM  
Blogger CaraBee said...

I like that top, too! Although this booty would be wearing it with black pants or skirt, for sure. I have so many things that got away particularly in the last year and a half while I was pregnant and since. I saw the cutest striped dress in Macy's last summer that I absolutely adored, but I was ginormous and it was not a maternity dress. This summer, I keep seeing these cute dresses and skirts that I like so much, but where do I wear these fanciful things, because I doubt my 9 month old would appreciate them. The good news is I have a couple of weddings coming up so I can go get myself something pretty. Aaaahhh.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Vhiel said...

happy wordless wednesday... I am giving away a diaper changing pad over at my blog as well as a tote.. if you would like to join, check us out..

Giveaway Galore

7:15 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

uhm love the top :)

but love even more that you actually have a style file!!

honey you crack me up!!

8:40 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Cute! And how funny that you kept track of clothes you wanted to buy. That sounds like me with books. I have a list I want to read at least 50 books long, and it's never going to happen!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Nadine said...

A style file - that's awesome. The top is really sweet.

12:07 AM  
Blogger Bloggy Mama said...

I like it, too..

1:54 AM  
Blogger groovyoldlady said...

Many moons ago, when Funsocksgirl was only 11 or 12 I went to a yard sale and I found the world's most perfect boots; suede with low heels and chic styling, yet they were comfortable as could be. And they only set me back $1!!!!

They made my happy heart go pitter-pat.

I had them one whole week and said daughter borrowed them. She wore them as she played tag through the WET, DEWY field across the street.

Ruined them before I ever even got to wear them anywhere!

I STILL miss them...sigh.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

I love the print on that top! But I just can't do layers since I have such big hips, sigh.

Last year, I saw a yellow and white flowered print sundress I absolutely went gaga for. Oh well.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Cute! Can't think of anything that got away...Oh wait, a cute wrap top from Lululemon. So should have bought that!

9:40 AM  
Blogger jodifur said...

I saw a knock off Kate Spade purse in a store once, thought about buying it, didn't, and went back the next day and it was gone. I still think about that bag.

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I need that in maternity style. Have to go to another dinner event and have nothing to fit!

12:56 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

Minus the bow and tiering, I'd probably go for it.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Why am I not surprised that you have a file like that? ;)

3:56 PM  
Blogger Don Mills Diva said...

I like the top but it would be even better longer then I could wear it with skinny jeans and not worry about muffin top...

10:43 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

A deep fuschia velvet blazer by Calvin Klein.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home