Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My lot

I found this entry written on a pre-blog of mine about a year before I found out I was pregnant with Fly.

- - - - -

Within the past week, two people have asked me to recommend them or their work for their latest endeavor.

One is a professor at a university who wanted to know if I would please read her current book and then read her forthcoming book, kind of like a peer review, I guess.

As if I were her peer.

The second is a person who is not only soon to be a lawyer but is also a PhD candidate in archeology. On top of that, she's an intern journalist for a well-known newspaper. She asked me to write a recommendation letter for her application to an environment fellowship.

And why wouldn't someone like me recommend someone with that kind of education level?

I'm honored, of couse, just to be asked. But I just can't believe that, with my lowly B.S. degree, I'm the one doing the recommending for these brainiacs. Like, why would anyone put worth into what I have to say about these women's capabilities?

I was advised a few times to become a lawyer (and I got an A in a media law class). But 70-hour workweeks don't sit well with me.

I was once really interested in genetics, especially gene therapy, but my biology grades weren't good enough to continue far down that path.

I wrote my first computer program for fun at 12 years old, but became bored by it.

Now I've written a book, but it's not the Great American Novel that will get me on Oprah, or any bestseller list, or even on a reading list for high school English classes.

I just haven't tried hard enough, or haven't been ambitious enough, to reach the level of these women.

So maybe it's my lot just to be the person who encourages and supports others to attain what I couldn't.

And there's value in that.

- - - - -

I'm posting it today because recently, I've had three people talking with me about books they are working on. It reminded me of this post, so I dragged it out. Now that I stay home with my boy, it is still very true that I am in an encouraging/supporting role -- for Fly, for JP, for the people I know working on books, for my friend Guinevere who is finishing her degree and for various other people in my life. And it is still very true that I believe there is value in being the helper, the cheerleader, the aide, the sounding board.

I may not be accomplishing great things for myself -- one person. But if I can help others -- several people -- with their accomplishments, isn't that an even greater crop of achievement?

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Awesome Mom said...

Don't forget the seriously awesome thing that only you can do which is being Fly's mom. While the world may not adore you for doing that Fly sure will and that will affect generations to come.

9:40 AM  
Blogger Madeline said...

Yes! It is definitely "an even greater crop of achievement". You must admit though, a published book is pretty impressive. What's the title?

9:45 AM  
Blogger Nadine said...

I think you sell yourself short. You accomplish plenty or else why would these types of people seek you out? If I could have, I would have asked you to read my book first too.

To me, what you are doing in raising Fly is quite the accomplishment. That's not an easy job. You've written a book - wow, I know that's not easy.

I think you're awesome. That's why I keep coming back here. You are witty and smart.

Blessings,
Nadine

9:51 AM  
Blogger Damselfly said...

Awesome Mom, I did mention supporting Fly in the post, but perhaps I should have elaborated on that more. I don't want anyone to think I don't think mothering is a worthy achievement, because it surely is. Thank you for the reminder! :)

1:15 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Yes, we do need supportive people for all those people accomplishing stuff. Someday I hope to be both.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What happened to the book you wrote? I'd love to read it!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Bloggy Mama said...

You are SUCH an encourager. Thank you for your comments. I've been missing you, lately. I'll be by more often, now... sorry.
hugs to you and Fly and JP.

3:51 PM  
Blogger groovyoldlady said...

Your lowly BS? I think THAT is pretty impressive. Sheesh, all I have is a PHT (Put Hubby Through), although in later years I managed to obtain some additional HMOD credits (Helped Mom Obtain a Degree).

You're also pretty darned talented at blog design. :) You could easily charge fees for what you and go from SAHM to WAHM. You're worth it!

4:51 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Absolutely!

I use to struggle with that thinking. Fortunately, I found I am happy doing what I do, helping out my friends and family. Who knows what the future holds, but right now, I love my life just the way it is.

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I often feel the same way. And as everyone else has stated, we sell ourselves short. Being a stay at home mom is an amazing accomplishment that a lot of women are unable to do. Being a support system is huge and i am proud to support my children and my husband in their endeavors, all the while learning myself.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

Yep:)

9:49 AM  
Blogger the mama bird diaries said...

I think you are accomplishing great things, without even realizing it.

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home