Monday, October 20, 2008

Surprised and amazed

Parents expect their kids to learn new things as they grow. Days, weeks and months pass, and the baby you had becomes a toddler. One day you suddenly wonder when your child learned to string words together, or try on your shoes, or push a chair to the kitchen counter to get something.

I knew Fly would learn and grow, but I didn't know how much that would surprise me every time I realized he had discovered something new.



Like the day he tried counting to 10.

When he pointed out green and yellow.

When Fly excitedly found a large circle in the pattern on the playground floor, and then a triangle in the notch of an old VHS tape box.

And I'm not only surprised, but amazed, at Fly's imagination.

A tea bag is a kite.

A patch of sunlight on the floor is a puddle.

His toy cars want to eat his breakfast.



A newspaper, placed just so at the center crease, is a tunnel.

A container of Vaseline is a bongo.

Every week, it seems, Fly learns something new or does something for the first time. And as he learns, I also learn -- about him and his ability to surprise and amaze me.

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Lane said...

I just started reading your blog and I just love this post. My son will be 2 in December and I was also so suprised that I get to relive childhood stuff though him, flowers, leaves, couch cushions all become something differnt. Makes me teary thinking about it...

3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so amazing ... Fly sounds like a great kid to be around :) It is the bestest to watch them grow!

4:51 PM  
Blogger Madeline said...

There's such a magic in being a part of your children's learning. Certain things are starting to click for Levi. He gets such a light in his eyes every time he figures something out. It is amazing to see. I'm getting a taste of what is to come.

6:07 PM  
Blogger CaraBee said...

The imagination of children is such a wonderful thing. We're starting to see those amazing developments around here and all I can say is "WOW!"

7:07 PM  
Blogger carrhop said...

We have carnivorous cars over at our place, too! It's amazing how much 'they' can eat! Hee hee!

Love these pics--so sweet!

Blessings!

7:55 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

And these blogs are so great to have and look back on when they're even older and learning different things.

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So true, my friend. So true. They have so much more to teach than we do.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Nadine said...

Isn't motherhood grand. I love this age where they are constantly experiencing new things.

12:48 AM  
Blogger Mozi Esme said...

Cute post! My kid constantly amazes me, too! Though no teabag kites here - that is truly creative!

3:18 AM  
Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

I know exactly what you mean. Kids are amazing.

For some reason, Fly looks even more mature in these pictures. His hair has gotten so thick.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

It is amazing to watch them learn and grow, isn't it? I'm in awe of what my little beauty does and says every single day.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Bon said...

Oscar's just started asking what everybody's name is. he saw me open this post and we looked Fly and he asked "what's HIS name?" and i said Fly and he thought that was a nice name. :) then we got to the last photo and he discovered Fly has a Thomas and he thinks it's HIS Thomas and now he's not so thrilled with your boy...

who is beautiful, btw.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

Mine have taught me not to take life so seriously! Your post was beautiful and made me smile.

7:22 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

love this post.

i love that i am not the only one who is caught in utter surprise and awe when my little love does something for the first time.

there's nothing better than watching them grow, learn and discover.

and i think that last picture is my new favorite :)

8:33 PM  
Blogger Jen S. said...

It *is* truly amazing.

9:02 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

And that is why I love being a mom! We are so lucky we get to observe all those things our kids learn.

5:01 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I'll be sad the day that I stop being surprised! I hope my kids always knock my socks off!

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home