Friday, October 17, 2008

Into the mouths of babes

Sometimes, the everyday things that Fly is learning converge -- and watching him figure things out makes me laugh.

Ever since Fly was about 18 months old, I have mildly, casually been potty training him. Which many in-the-trenches, potty-training four-star-general moms would say is not really true potty training. I guess it isn't.... But he has used the potty about 10 times now.

Anyway, last night just as I was sitting down to eat dinner, Fly looked at me and said, "pah-pah" (a general potty term). He also had that look on his face.

Notice he never says "pah-pah" to JP.

Sure, enough, Fly was already in the business of making #2, and I sat him on the potty just in time. I did the jumping and cheering and hugging and kissing and made a big deal out of it.

Lately, when Fly has used the potty, I have given him mini M&Ms -- a trick I'm sure I picked up from one of you moms. So even though it was dinner time, I felt some reward was due. After washing up, I counted out a few M&Ms and put them near his plate.

(So far, this is all just to tell you why my child had M&Ms with dinner.)

Fly immediately went straight for the M&Ms, of course.

But he put them in his pasta.

And he proceeded to eat his sauce-covered mini M&Ms with his fork -- something else that he has been doing better at recently.

I tried to convince him the peas in his pasta were M&Ms, too, but Fly didn't buy it.

Which just shows that, despite his choice of candy-for-dinner etiquette, he has a better grip on reality than I give him credit for.

Labels: , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Madeline said...

I laughed out loud when I read that! Fly is such a character. What a fun memory to have!

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe smarter than the average bear!

5:24 PM  
Blogger Nadine said...

That's a smart boy - I don't blame him, not a big fan of peas either.

8:07 PM  
Blogger CaraBee said...

I wish I could go back to the time when I had no preconceived ideas about food and could throw M&Ms in my pasta without reservation.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Awesome Mom said...

Kids mix some of the oddest flavors. We were eating lunch out at BK one day and I got the boys the apple fries with the caramel dip. Evan was dipping his hamburger it in and his apple fries in the ketchup. Gag!

10:03 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Yum! Not!!!!

I wish M&M's was all it took to motivate my reluctant potty training kids. sigh. Potty training is SO not what I'm good at! As long as they stop wearing diapers before Kindergarten, right?

9:54 AM  
Blogger carrhop said...

Hee heee! M&Ms and pasta--hmmmm. Talk about carb loading! ;o)

Blessings!

9:58 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

I am going to have to try sprinkling candy on each meal. Perhaps then my toddler will eat. ;)

1:55 PM  
Blogger Angela Kruck said...

On the radio the other morning mothers were talking about the weird combinations their kids eat... awesome mom above, you're not alone, one daughter was dipping the hamburger in the carmel just like your son. Maybe the "can't wait" generation of today has figured out it saves time to have their dessert IN their dinner... carmel... m&m's... Too bad Fly caught onto the peas... commendable effort on your part though!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Not only is he a potty training overachiever but also has the potential for a Master Chef? :-)

7:17 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Pasta emanemsca.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

My son makes odd food combos too. Shudder.

11:50 PM  
Blogger the mama bird diaries said...

oh yes, i used the m & m's too.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

Offering bribes is a great way to potty train, no matter what they do with the treats. :)

4:23 AM  
Blogger Mozi Esme said...

Clever kid! Very clever...

Esme says "pooh" now when it's time, but I'm not taking the hints yet. Maybe I need to invest in some m&ms and take this seriously.

6:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home