Thursday, October 23, 2008

Bumpy

Our city recently installed speed bumps in our neighborhood. I hate speed bumps despite the horrifying speeds at which people fly past the houses -- but that is a rant for another day.

As I drive over the speed bumps in the car, I say, "Bumpy!" to Fly in the back. And when Fly, JP and I are out for our nightly walk and we wheel Fly's stroller over the bumps, we say, "Bumpy!"

Now Fly has started saying bumpy. Not only that, but he knows the locations of all the speed bumps. He can point in the correct direction and tell me that Bumpy lives that-a-way.

He also has found great bumpy places to drive his toy cars over, like the top of a misshapen, dimpled box. And on the track that JP put together for Fly for his 2nd birthday last month, there are a couple areas of bumpy track -- his second favorite part of the setup after the bridges.

Fly's bumpy obsession doesn't stop there. He wants to explore every non-smooth, nonlinear object or area -- a manhole cover, rocks in the garden, the back of my legs.

The kid lives for bumpy.

And when Fly says the word, it can also sound just like another word he learned recently, pumpkin. Or -- for some reason -- tractor. (I can identify the slight nuances in his toddler dialect.)

This is how it occurred to me Fly has already learned that, in life, bumpy is more interesting than smooth. Something is more appealing than nothing. A flaw = fascinating; perfect = boring. Bumpy is what sells novels, movie tickets and cosmetics. Bumpy is what drives us up the wall about the people we love, even though we love them anyway. Bumpy makes us real. Bumpy is what makes us want to set goals, to achieve or to overcome. Basically, bumpy makes the world go 'round.

And I guess I have the city -- and all those speeders -- to thank for that.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger CaraBee said...

"Bumpy makes us real" Wise words, my friend, wise words.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

How very philosophical...and true.

7:41 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

this is how i knew i turned old - the day i realized i would love speed bumps in front of our house!!

8:27 PM  
Blogger Jen S. said...

Such profound truths these toddlers of ours can discover!

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At our new house there are two stop signs almost back to back. I am sure it annoys some people, but I just think of one of the kids running out ... slowing down is a good good thing :)

I agree it is the bumps in life that make it interesting!

3:59 AM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Just wait 'til he rides over speed bumps in a school bus - yeehaw!! He'll get some serious air time.

5:14 AM  
Blogger Scribbit said...

I'll join you in the rant, I hate them too and they're everywhere. I figure I should be able to go the speed limit and not get my brains jarred but you have to slow down to nothing. Seems wrong.

9:56 AM  
Blogger Mozi Esme said...

guinevere already said exactly what I was going to say.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

isn't that a big deep for a Friday? :) Really, this is wonderful writing. Way to go Fly Baby!

5:12 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

You're so wise. After a sleepless night and a fuzzy-brain day, it was nice to read something so philosophical.

PS: I hate speed bumps, but I hate speed humps even more.

8:15 PM  
Blogger the mama bird diaries said...

My kids LOVE when we drive over speed bumps. But I agree, annoying little buggers (the speed bumps, not the kids).

8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home