Saturday, January 03, 2009

Sleep while the sleeping is good

That's been my motto around here lately. And even if I can't sleep, I try to be horizontal when I can. Now that I'm coming up on 16 weeks in this pregnancy, I am hoping and wishing and waiting for that second-trimester second wind to come along. I am not exaggerating when I say I can start dreaming with my eyes open.

Things are a little different for me this time around. I don't have the atomic heartburn I had when I was pregnant with Fly. But I do have dysgeusia. I don't have the nosebleeds with this baby, but I have rhinitis of pregnancy. One thing that's the same is lower back pain.

Oh, and of course that fatigue.

Another thing that's different with this pregnancy is my weight. I started off this time around weighing eight pounds more than I did when I was newly pregnant with Fly. (But still wearing the same size clothes somehow.) That doesn't make me happy, especially because I told myself if I ever got pregnant again, I didn't want to gain as much weight as I did last time -- 40 pounds. At the time, even my OB/Gyn was cautioning me about my weight. JP's mother gained half that amount (back when women were told not to gain weight during pregnancy), and JP was two ounces heavier than Fly when he was born.

So I was already weight-conscious.

And then it happened. Someone made a comment about my weight. A friend told me, "You've gained some weight," and I'm like, "No kidding." But inside, I was devastated. I had been feeling pretty good about myself, after overhearing some friends tell another mom at the playground that I was already (barely) in my second trimester, and the woman acted amazed that I was even pregnant because she couldn't tell. I am still wearing my regular clothes. But after my friend's comment, I felt like a big blob. I actually skipped dinner that day -- I wasn't truly hungry anyway. And when I am around that friend, I feel nervous eating.

I don't want anyone to think I'm endangering my baby by starving myself. I'm definitely not. I'm just saying my weight is more of an issue for me this time around.

And the sleep -- ahhh, the sleeping. It makes me yawn just thinking about it.

Knowing now the sleep deprivation that a new baby brings, I'm going to get in all the pillow time I can while I'm able.

Zzzzzz....

Labels: , ,

20 Comments:

Blogger Awesome Mom said...

I gained a lot of weight too during pregnancy, but lost every bit of it the first month because it was baby and water weight. Relax about the weigh gain. Don't go nuts with the eating but also don't obsess.

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw sweetie, that's sad. Don't be her friend anymore, mkay? You're growing a whole person. Enjoy it.

12:31 AM  
Blogger Lady M said...

Don't stress. It's a pain to carry the extra pounds, but it'll be over and you'll get to carry a cute wee one instead. :)

2:48 AM  
Blogger Bloggy Mama said...

Thinking of you and sending peace, happiness, and thoughts and prayers for a healthy baby. I hate the whole weight thing. I'm with the others, sorry that someone got you down.

4:35 AM  
Blogger Maternal Mirth said...

Don't think about your weight, just sleep. Ah ... pregnancy sleep is the BESTEST! The dreams are cooky as heel, but the sleep ... damn good sleep.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Nadine said...

I understand about being tired with the second one because you still have the first one to take care of. Don't stress about your weight, I bet it's much better than you think. I'd go back to the playground more often...I like those ladies.

9:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Don't worry, my dear This, too shall pass. I was 10 pounds heavier to start when I got pregnant with #2 and was a veritable boat by the end. Just be happy and healthy and don't worry about the numbers

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You feel weird eating around a friend? :\ I mean, like, I felt horrible eating at McDonald's the other day and kept waiting for someone to come lecture me on eating junk food while pregnant (btw bite me, I love McNuggets), but that's a bunch of strangers.

You are growing a baby, you have every right and responsibility to keep yourself as well-fed and healthy as possible. Pregnancy weight gain is what it is, and instead of feeling weird about eating, just do some extra butt clenches while you're typing :)

Man, now you have ME thinking about sleep....

11:07 AM  
Blogger Madeline said...

Oh, the fatigue of pregnancy could do a girl in! I hope it gets better.
Don't worry about the weight. It's all in the beautiful name of growing a life. I know it's easier said than done, but that's one thing I wish I had worried less about while I was pregnant. I could get into the biggest tizzies over thinking I looked like a blob. Just enjoy.

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I feel fat :(
O have already gained 10 POUNDS! And I am weeks behind you! I always gain too much yet by the end of the first year it is gone.

The friend doesn't sound like a friend worth being around too much if she makes you feel like that.

ahhh sleep. I am not sure how I will manage with J returning to work tomorrow! I have been napping EVERYDAY!

5:17 PM  
Blogger mollie said...

Dont be her friend. Thats not nice. You should have said
"Really?!? I was just thinking you have gotten a little uglier"
LOL
:)
You grow that baby, girl.

7:49 PM  
Blogger CaraBee said...

I can't imagine the kind of friend that points out a friend has gained weight. Especially since you're pregnant. I mean, sheesh. I'm sure you look fabulous!

9:01 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Awww...that's kinda unthoughtful of your friend to say that to you - I mean EVERYONE who's pregnant gains weight...no matter what - so don't feel bad about it! And the sleep...yeah, I hear you there! I could've slept the days and nights away when I was pregnant the 2nd time around...and I still could since 7 months later Emily still doesn't like to sleep at night!

9:28 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Oh dear. I know it's easier said than done, but please don't worry about your weight. I've seen photos of you and you are not overweight a bit (like I am). You need to gain more weight. I gained 25 lbs with each of my first two (I was smaller than I am now, but still not at a healthy weight) then with #3 I gained only about 15 lbs but I was very overweight to start. You will gain what you need to for a healthy baby, just listen to your body.

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy your sleep, but please don't worry about your weight. Just grow that baby!

2:13 AM  
Blogger Jen S. said...

Who told you that??!!

I was staring at you today, trying to see if you were showing yet.

It didn't look to me like you were. The only hint I had was that the shirt you were wearing had an empire waist. (Is that the right term??)

Anyhoo. I think you look fantastic. My goal for the next time I am pregnant is to look the way YOU do!! You're such a cute preggo!

2:08 PM  
Blogger jodifur said...

I hope you told that person to shut up. You should never say anything to a pregnant woman other than you look beautiful.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

Honestly, who comments on a woman's weight (pregnant or not)? Eat, sleep and be merry.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

That second "wind" will eventually come. There's sunshine around the corner yet...hang in there.

3:51 PM  
Blogger White Hot Magik said...

Yowza it is hard not to worry when those other moms start dishing people isn't it? Oddly enough being overweight to start with for both my pregnancies, I actually lost weight and had about weigh in because I was afraid I would have lost more. Strange, I know, but luckily both were healthy. So take care of yourself but don't worry about it beyond that and avoid that one "friend."

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home