Tuesday, May 02, 2006

If it takes a village . . .

Sunday, April 30:

My husband’s parents want to take us out to dinner. I suspect something is up. After all, why do they seem so urgent? But it turns out nothing is up.

After dinner, my mother-in-law wants to talk about the baby, naturally. It seems whenever I tell her preparations I’ve made or what ideas or plans I have, she tells me a story about what she did with her kids or about what Jim’s sister did with our adorable nephew. I don’t know if she’s just making conversation and that’s all she can add, or if she’s trying to “correct” me or “one-up” me.

She also says she and my father-in-law would like to buy us a crib for the baby.

I tell her my stepmom offered to do that the day I told her we were expecting.

So my m-i-l says, then, they will offer something else.

On one hand, I wish this baby would be just mine and my husband’s. But I realize it’s also part of two, er, three families. And maybe it does take a village to raise a child.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home