Thursday, December 14, 2006

Christmas, shopping, an anniversary and a meme

Mom bloggers, I don't know how you do it. It's Christmas time, for crying out loud. How have you managed to take care of your little ones, prepare for the holidays and have time to blog? Spill those secrets! I've been swamped. I'm actually turning down some jolly-holiday events out of concern for being overcommited.

Not too swamped to go to the mall with Star, though. Last time we went to the mall together, it was her, Flybaby and me. Now it was the three of us plus her little one, who's only two weeks old! So cute. I know she didn't want to hear it, but I told Star her little Lancelot has a sweet baby cry. Flybaby pretty much shrieks. Loudly. I mean, you can hear him from outside the house. If you're at the mall, just follow the trail of the crying babies being pushed in their strollers -- that will be Star and me. Going to the mall with a friend used to be so different. Star, we had fun. (It was fun, wasn't it?) Today, I felt so many things went unsaid because we both had to tend to the boys. And you're still recovering from giving birth, for goodness' sake! But getting out of the house -- nice!

Also, this weekend is the one-year anniversary of the weekend, ahem, that Flybaby was conceived. Yay, baby!

So M from My Journey said she'd like to see me answer the following new year questions, so, tag -- I'm it! Here goes:

Things you learned this year:
I learned what it’s like to be a mother! And it’s not the way I had imagined -- which is both good and bad, but mostly good.

People you met:
My doula, Charlie Brown. My pediatrician. My genetic counselor. Hmm, guess I haven’t gotten out enough in the right places . . . .

Things you don't want to take with you into 2007:
Gosh, I'm stumped.

Things you want to hold close as you pass into 2007:
My family and friends! Oh wait, they’re not things. Well, I guess that would be my iPod. Is that sad?

Things you're looking forward to in 2007:
Watching my baby grow and change, learning something new every week. Speaking at a book festival. Celebrating my 12th wedding anniversary. Working on that “meeting new people” thing above. Submitting a second book proposal to my publisher.

Things that were life changing in 2006:
Um. Other than having a baby?! Blogging.

Things you hope to accomplish by the end of 2007:
To feel I’ve really lived each and every day to the fullest

9 Comments:

Blogger M said...

Thanks for doing the meme. I really like your answer to the last one. Inspiring!

8:20 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Yes, I agree, that last answer is awesome!

11:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great meme. Good for you for helping your friend get out at only 2 weeks post-partum!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Chicky Chicky Baby said...

The secret of maintaining a blog while being a mom? Three things: naptimes, bedtimes and television.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Cristina said...

I went to the mall with my friend the other day and we both have little boys and we barely got to talk at all either. We probably would have had more "quality friend time" if we had just talked on the phone!

11:53 PM  
Blogger Scribbit said...

That's a great meme and good answers. And as for maintaining a blog, the secret is having two dozen posts in the hole so when you have a day when you can't blog, you still have a post. Plus being the kind of person that can't shut up helps too :) I talk too much so there's always something to say.

1:00 AM  
Blogger Nichole said...

Cool meme! I might do it later. That is, if I'm not busy shopping and stuff!

I would say shopping with babies gets easier as they grow, but other moms may disagree. There's a small window of time that it's total heaven, like 8-12 months of age. E was so content to sit in the stroller, people watch, and play with her toys.

Now that she walks, it's a whole other story.

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually haven't had time to take care of my little ones, prepare for the holidays, and blog. My house is a disaster, the kiddos have been sick, and I hardly have any presents wrapped. And Christmas is ONE WEEK AWAY -- can you tell I'm in panic mode? :-)

6:08 PM  
Blogger Her Bad Mother said...

That last one? YES.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home