Thursday, December 07, 2006

Three months!



Happy three-month birthday, Flybaby!

As a special present -- to me -- Fly slept for nine hours last night. Nine! That's the second time he has slept that long. He's usually good for at least six hours at night these days, and even six is something -- waaaay better than the "up every two to three hours" business during his first weeks.

People in the blogosphere and in real life have told me it gets easier after three months. I think it really is easier now, if only because I know Flybaby better and am a more practiced parent. But as my friend Roo says, people will also tell you it gets easier after six months, then 12 months, and on and on. At least until the teenage hormones kick in.

I can't let myself worry about the teen years right now....

Anyway, I thought I'd list some of the things that make my life as a new mama a little bit -- or a whole lot -- easier, and baby stuff I just love.

Nightlights. They live in almost every room of our house now. Thankfully, Flybaby was born just as days were starting to get noticeably shorter, so that may be a contributing factor in how we've helped him get to sleep longer. But around 8 p.m. now, JP and I have started turning off lights and letting the nightlights do their job.

Flybaby's Amby Baby hammock. I seriously think it helps him sleep better and longer. It's cute. And it's quite a conversation piece. (Although those co-sleeper thingies I've seen would be great if I could do this -- h&b's comment, whose permanent link doesn't seem to be working.) I'll post a picture of Fly in his hammock once Blogger lets me.

Gerber cloth diapers, used as burp cloths and drool wipers. And so much more. Flybaby has even taken to holding onto them like a little security blanket.

The mobile hung over the play yard and the Ocean Wonders aquarium toy in the crib. They give me 10 minutes to do stuff I need to do while Fly raptly watches the little characters go around and around.

Lap pads, or whatever you want to call them. Before Flybaby's diapers started fitting, they were great to protect everything he was on. I still have the pads in place on his changing pad, in the hammock and in his car seat.

My Echoes of Nature Ocean Waves CD. I got this in a boxed set of nature sound CD several years ago, and now the waves CD is one of the main ways we calm Flybaby when he's overtired.

And of course, a great husband, JP. I couldn't do this new mama stuff without him.

I guess every parent has his or her favorite things. What are yours?

13 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

BUMBO!! The BEST invention ever! It's a great seat for babies to sit in before they can sit up (provides support in the right areas). Eli would sit and watch me do ANYTHING for hours in that thing!

3:41 PM  
Blogger Alex Elliot said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love the Ocean Wonders crib aquarium. We've started traveling with a little night light. It sure beats leaving the hotel bathroom door open. What I liked to give as baby presents are Robeez (www.robeez.com). They're flexible (ie won't interfere with learning to walk) leather shoes that neither of my kids were ever able to get off. The pediatrician recommended them to me when it started getting cold out, but my son wasn't walking yet so he wasn't ready for shoes. They're also great because you can through them in the wash. Target makes a knock-off version, but after seeing my friend's kid's Target Robeeze this morning after she threw in the wash, I'm going to stick with Robeez. Her's looked like a dog had eaten them.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Mommy to One said...

Your hammock looks awesome!! I totally want to get one, well for the next baby. Does it take up much space?

You have an adorable baby too. Mine USED to sleep through the night, but now that he's teething..thats gone out the window. I hope it improves again soon, this every 3 hrs thing is definitely exhausting!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

That's a terrific post!! Thanks for sharing your favourites.

7:11 PM  
Blogger M said...

Ok. So, Fly baby sleeps in the Amby Baby? Maddy WILL NOT sleep for long on her back. We've tried it all- swaddling, pacifier (which just falls out a million times at which point she'll scream)...we moved her to our room in the pack n play...and finally i noticed how well she sleeps in her bouncer or swing. So, that's where she's been sleeping. In her swing next to our bed. SHe sleeps for about a 5 hour stretch the first part of the night and then about 2-3 hours the second part of the night. Before it was in 2 hour chunks. My pediatrician says sleeping in the swing isn't good. Neither is the bouncer. It confines them too much, and slows down the development of their central muscles. She said try swaddling. This to me, made NO sense. If I swaddle her am I not confining her more? Thus inhibiting her from using those central muscles? She said try one of those sleep positioners...but they don't get very good reviews on Babies R Us website. So, I said F it. We're doing what works. And for now, this is working.
I asked her about the baby hammocks (the Amby Baby is what I was looking at) and she said again, it confines them. AHHHH! I am glad to hear you are using one though and like it. It makes me feel less guilty for the swing thing. My cousin's pediatrician told her to let her baby sleep in the carseat when she couldn't get him to lay down. She did this for the first 4 months. I know lots of moms that do it.
I'm curious to hear your thoughts. And does he sleep in the Amby all night? Next to your bed?
Please stop over to my blog and leave your thoughts. I'm anxious to hear.

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy three month you beautiful Flybaby you! I love the baby hammock, it looks super comfortable, no wonder he slept for nine hours. :)

Ari (Baking and Books)

8:34 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday little FlyBaby!! Abby is in her 4th month. And yes, sloooooooowly, it does get better. I am still waiting for things to get easier myself...

10:02 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Nobody tells you about the breastfeeding thing right? It's supposed to be so easy and natural right? Wrong! Kudos for hanging in there. I had similar issues with my first son and gave it up altogether and just pumped for about 2 1/2 months. I can say it was MUCH easier with my second baby, whom I breastfed for almost 8 months (4 of which I pumped at work).

As for things we couldn't live without - we loved the crib aquarium with our first, and then couldn't live wtihout the swing with our second (because we were too busy wtih our first kid to hold the 2nd baby all the time - it's true the 2nd children get gypped). I also thought the Aveda breast pump was just about the best invention ever. And I agree with a. elliot - the robeez are the only shoes that actually stay on a baby's feet.

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha. I remember when people were telling me that it got easier after 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months... for me, it was 6 months. But that's also when we started Rookie Moms.

My list of the bests of babydom is here: http://www.rookiemoms.com/shopping-registry/

11:56 AM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

We too use cloth diapers as burp cloths. My older son (all of 2 yrs), loves to use them as a security blanket. He must have special memories of those things. I frequently hear him cry out, "Burp cloth!" when he's ready to have his milk and cuddle.

2:18 PM  
Blogger LBA said...

The husband is so important.

Even though mine's not the active sort, and our boy wasn't the demanding kind ... someone to simply pay the bills, get me some food, buy some milk & bread and the rest.

Couldn't recommend one enough.

Have no idea how single parents do it, but I salute them, oh yes I do ..

1:59 AM  
Blogger Nichole said...

I, too, am a fan of the Ocean Wonders crib aquarium! Miracle worker!

Ever since Eleana was about 8 months old she's slept with Baby Tad instead of the aquarium. He's great because he sings songs and does color/shape games, but also sings lullabies if you press the appropriate button. Just enough lullabye to see E drift sweetly into sleep. And, he's something she can play with when she wakes in the morning.

12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is adorable! This is the first time I've seen a picture. Congrats!

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home