Friday, January 05, 2007

The mama is right!

Flybaby had his four-month doctor appointment. He was weighed (16 pounds) and measured (26 inches) and is basically never going to be this small again even though I think he's getting too big for his britches. Literally.

Our pediatrician always talks to us first, then examines Fly. This time, we compared how lame our New Year's Eve celebrations were. (JP and I win for the lamest. Ever.) When exam time came, I mentioned I thought Flybaby has been teething. The doctor said teething usually starts between six and nine months. Then he checks Fly's gums anyway and declares, "Mom was right!" He showed me the makings of a little white thing pushing through Flybaby's lower front gums (or would that be gum?).

I secretly felt so proud of myself for knowing.

Of course, when Fly wakes up at night after only an hour of sleep and he is shrieking more loudly than JP and I can talk, you know something has to be up.... Today, Flybaby has taken short little cat naps -- punctuated by shrieking, of course -- and despite the gum pain reliever and a little Tylenol, he stays alert with the pain until he overtires himself and then it's time for another cat nap and on and on....

We have been given teething rings and teething toys galore, but at four months, Fly is too young to hold onto them long enough or isn't coordinated enough to chew on them. I tried a refrigerated, wet washcloth, too. Last night, JP calmed Flybaby down with an ice-water-chilled pacifier.

It's so hard to be a baby.

At some point today, I put Flybaby in the Pack n Play to watch his mobile because I had run out of things to do with this wide-awake child in pain. (And at 16 wriggling pounds, it's not so easy to carry him around all the time.) As I lay there watching him, it occurred to me that maybe instead of me entertaining him, he is actually entertaining me.

It would be great to hear your stories of when you knew something intuitively as a parent!

14 Comments:

Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

16 lbs at 4 months? - he is a big boy. Lexi started teething at 4 months too. So far, she pops a few out at a time & then has a break. Good luck!

4:05 PM  
Blogger Flawed And Disorderly said...

Yay mama! I can't think of any stories to share off the bat, but I wanted to tell you Hyland's Homeopathic Teething Tablets work surprisingly well incase you haven't heard of them. You can get them at places like Wal-Mart. They're 100% natural and have no side-effects. I hate to admit I'm usually one to turn to drugs first, but I think these tablets work as well if not better than ibuprofen. It may depend on the baby, but they're worth the try. :D Good luck!

PS I don't even remember New Year's. I think I might win out for the most lame if can't even remember it.

5:19 PM  
Blogger Karianna said...

OF COURSE Mama is always right. :)

There have been too many experiences to count where a "hunch" turned out to be true.

I second the recommendation for Hyland's. That combined with orajel equals instant calm.

5:42 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Poor kiddo, teething already. Hunter did the same, starting early, and had a full mouth before we knoew it! Intuitiveness...a) being prego, b)it was a boy, c) teething (ditto to you)

6:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh gosh! I remember those teething days. They were the worst because I never could figure out how to sooth my Dawson. He hated teething rings but loved to chew on my nuckles. I became a human teething ring!

You're little one sounds so sweet!
Thanks for visiting my blog!

7:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good on ya, mama!! Of course you knew!

We've had the first two come in, but the 2nd two are taking their sweet time, and bothering the Magpie the whole way... we're trying to will them through but it's not working yet. :(

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww, bless his little cotton socks. I hope it doesn't last too long for all your sakes, we've just cut our first one but it came without too much fuss.

It never fails to amaze my husband that I can generally tell why Little Moo is crying by the sound of her cry, to me this isn't anything miraculous just listening and learning but he swears he can't hear a difference. Maybe it is an ability only a mommy has?

Surviving motherhood.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Away at a party, someone gave my baby Laurel a frozen soy bean pod to chew/suck on for her aching gums. It helped. I was leery. I kept envisioning her sucking down an actual soy bean and choking, so I made sure to watch her like a hawk and take it out when it started softening up.

Yay, for you and your honed mommy intuition!

7:10 AM  
Blogger Jenifer said...

Awww... my son is also 4 months old, he has his appointment on Tuesday!

I love me some babies!

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog exchange!

I tagged you for a meme. You can see the rules in my blog post.

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rylan started teething at 10 weeks and I was right about that. He's 8.5 months and STILL doesn't have a tooth. They just go up and down. Poor kid. Hyland's Homeopathic Teething Tablets do indeed work in all except the worst cases. Sometimes Tylenol is needed, for sure!

9:45 PM  
Blogger Kristi said...

Aww... poor little guy, teething so early. I wish I had some advice for you, but Isabella is 4.5 months, and although she's drooling up a storm, she's not teething. And from what you describe in your little guy's cries of pain, we'll know it when she is. I hope he feels better soon and gets those teeth out quickly!

9:37 PM  
Blogger Scribbit said...

Hope he's feeling okay with those teeth coming in. I feel so sorry for them and their sore gums.

12:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you tried infant motrin...or teething tablets? They helped Hailey quite a bit.

PS. Intuition? I have none.

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home