Friday, December 29, 2006

The evil part of the baptism

Oh yeah, I did think of something to write about. (See previous post today.)

JP and I are planning on baptising Flybaby next month. Now I have roughly one month to sew a baptism outfit for Fly. (Yes, I have been known to sew things.)

Why am I sewing his outfit? This is the evil part of Flybaby's baptism. When JP's sister, Sabee, had her son, a family friend offered the use of a christening gown that had been in her family. I am concerned this family friend will offer the gown to me, too. Except I don't want Flybaby to wear a long gown. First of all, he's a boy and shouldn't be in something that looks like a dress. Second, I never got why christening gowns are so darn long. (And I refused to have a train on my wedding dress, too, despite JP's mother's attempts.) I might be in the minority, but I think they look kind of silly.

So then I could just dress Fly in one of his nice outfits and be done with it. But if I say I am sewing his outfit, well, that makes it more personal and special, and a better way to politely refuse the family friend's christening gown. See?

And if Sabee could sew, that would have been her out. Instead, she didn't have our adorable nephew baptised at all! One way or another....

4 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

We're Presbyterian which is pretty loose in general. We don't have God parents, the entire congregation are the child's sponsor. No special ceremony, baptisms are done during the regular church service. And we don't believe that anything special happens when or if a child is baptised, although I have had both of mine baptised.

Yeah, I bought my kids special outfits, but they were really just regular outfits.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

We didn't baptise so this was super interesting to read. Wow.

Wishing you and yours a very, very happy new year!

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Smart idea! A lot of work, but smart! Actually, though, it is very special that he'll wear something you've made; and if you ever have another little boy (or nephew!) then you could use the outfit again. Or take away the pants and add a skirt!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

I hate sewing so much, I would have to find another alternative. Of course, we didn't baptize our kids, so, I guess that's my out.

Good luck with the sewing.

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home