Monday, March 26, 2007

Face off

So I've been on this nutritional facelift diet for only 10 hours now, and already I'm hungry and ready to dive into the cheese 'n' crackers JP likes to take to work for a snack.

I'm not on the diet to lose weight. I'm doing it in the hopes of getting my face back. I want my face back! The face before the pregnancy melasma and the bloating. (Now I've got jowls-in-the-making, I'm pretty sure of it.) I want my face from before the hormones made little volcanoes erupt on my chin. (You can still see traces of a couple of them there.) Sleep deprivation and motherly worry have taken their toll as well -- just look at those hollow eyes and that lined forehead!

But really, who am I kidding? I can blame some of my facial problems on pregnancy and motherhood, but not all of them. Since I turned 25, I think I've noticed some new problem on my face or body every year. That's more than 10 new weird things going on! Except most of them aren't even new anymore.

- - - - -

JP has been sick (or suffering from food poisoning, we can't really tell) starting with Friday night, and he stayed home today. Because I get an average of five pieced-together hours of sleep each night, it killed me to see him sleep the day away. Where were the hours of sleep for me when I had mastitis?! Ha! Just knowing I couldn't even get the sleep I need if I got sick, now that's enough to make me sick.

- - - - -

Speaking of sleep, until JP got sick/poisoned, we I tried a couple nights of sleep training on Flybaby. He should be able to go at least six hours, right? (Apparently, sleeping through the night was just a fluke.) So one night, I patted his tummy and stroked his head until he stopped crying and fell back asleep, and the next night (the night JP got sick) was JP's turn, until he got sick. So. The next night, JP was too ill to make sure Fly got a proper dinner (he was on dinner duty while I was away that one night), so guess who was up nursing the baby to make sure he wouldn't be hungry? And the next night, I was too tired to remember I was supposed to pat Flybaby back to sleep, and I nursed him every time he got up.

Oh, sleep. What a weary subject. With that, I'm off to bed at 10 pm.... I need all the beauty rest I can get!

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Bon said...

you mean, i can get rid of the age spots and the teenage-esque hormonal zit spots that all showed up to the same party on my face, all at once?

c'mon, tell me nice things about this diet. whisper in my less-aged-than-it-looks ear...

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh boy, I'm tired just reading your post! I hope you get some much-deserved sleep very soon!

Diets are never fun. And don't you love how your body just changes on you when you hit your mid-20s!?

- Jane, Pinks & Blues Girls

9:33 PM  
Blogger Nadine said...

I hope you get some sleep. I remember those days. I just noticed that you wrote a book, congratulations.

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is this sleep you speak of? IOh how I long to sleep more than 2 hours at a time ... well a year or so I figure and maybe :D

12:16 AM  
Blogger Undercover Angel said...

I hope you are able to get some rest soon.

I've never heard of the face diet before, but if it works, let me know. I've got a few lines on my forehead that could use some erasing...

6:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think I have told you this before, but Bridget still doesn't sleep through the night and she is 20 months. There are some nights when I actually sleep walk into her room, pick her up, and bring her back to bed with me. Some mornings I wake up and wonder how she got into my bed! She likes her nightly boob and just can't get back to sleep without one - LOL!

10:32 AM  
Blogger M said...

Ah sleep. We just started Maddy in her crib this week. Last night she slept from 8-12....got fussy. Mike rebinked her and she slept until 3:30.

THAT was a fluke. I don't expect that every night. Fact is-- she is NOT a good sleeper. And therefore, neither am I.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Sending sleepy thoughts your way!

The offer is still on the table...Lancelot and I can come play with Flybaby in the afternoon so you can get a nap. Really!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Tina said...

Don't laugh, but I'm usually asleep by 9:00. Hey, what can I say, I'm exhausted too! Hang in there, eventually Flybaby will sleep through the night. You just have to figure out your strategy and stick with it. Be sure to start once hubby is well and on board to help out.

5:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sleep training is TOUGH. Bode is eight months old now and should NOT be getting up two times in the night to eat. However, he's been either sick or teething for two months now and we haven't been able to go forward. But believe me, I am READY!!!

8:05 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

GOod luck with the sleep! I can wake up enough to nurse but that's about it. LOL

My body has figured out it's on the downhill side to 30. It could slow down a bit, sheesh.

8:43 PM  
Blogger groovyoldlady said...

Well, my young ones are 5 and 7 and they actually sleep through the night. UNLESS we are engaging in marital intimacy. Then someone needs to pee (and MUST use our bathroom because it's closer) or has a bad dream. Good thing we taught them how to knock!

The older ones? They go to bed at 1am and get up somewhere between breakfast and lunch. However, they're grown and gone, so they this is no problem for us. But when they were teenagers...

Oh wait, I meant to encourage you. Darn it!

6:54 AM  
Blogger Mama's Moon said...

Sleep? Sleep??! Who's getting sleep around here??! It's funny how Hubby thinks that the weekend is for sleeping in because of his work week while I still manage to get out of bed at the very same exact time every morning Monday through Friday, oh, and Saturday and Sunday too! Amazing, isn't it?

Good luck with it all. Please let me know how it all turns out - I would love to look at a different face after all these years!!!

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That diet looks great! I am reading Suzanne Somer's Ageless which is helping me feel better and inspiring me to get my family on a better diet-slowly but surely! If you want some samples of skin care products that are good and good for ya, just let me know!

And about sleep...I was never good about helping them sleep on their own, so now the Sleep Fairy is visiting us in hopes of forming new sleep habits! Good luck!

Stacey

2:39 PM  
Blogger Freckle Face Girl said...

I think pregnancy/motherhood aged me a lot too, even though I have been seeing changes for a few years. Instead of a diet though, I'm just dreaming of sudden wealth & a great plastic surgeon. ....ahhh living in lala land.

8:25 AM  
Blogger LBA said...

And mastitis is SO much worse than any man-sickness ( or so i've heard ).

No, no rest for the wicked.

It took me 2 years before my boobs stopped looking like deflated hanging balloons, and got soem oomph back into them.

Now they're so oomphy, people think i'm pregnant .. *sigh* ...

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home